Using ground flags/stakes to mark targets

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Any of you using ground stakes or flags to mark targets? I am thinking about buying some and wanted to see how its worked for others. Situation would be when I am doing recoveries, I typically like to do a fast coarse grid, and I am only looking for very solid targets based on what I am looking for. But I want to mark any hit, so as I can go back to it, potentially dig it in case its masking or figure out what it is. I am thinking I would only need to carry 10-20 on me at a time, and I have just found myself wanting something like this. Ideally would be something that is just a ribbon/streamer, with some weight on the end, ideally non metallic, but I haven't been able to find anything like that.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read this as "go to the bars".:laughing7:

What is a "Go Bar".
Don't have a lot of use for snow flags down here but they seem like a great idea for easy visibility and retrieval although they might be awkward carrying. I had that issue with the bamboo skewers yesterday.

Some really good ideas here but I think I'll keep my eye out for some poker chips at Goodwill or the dump.

Would you now like the "solution" ? ? ?

:)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
untiffssdftled.png

Welding rod holder.

Hangs from belt... waterproof.

Yep... I am a Wizard. :P

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanna get fancy... cant see em ?... lay out skewers... spray em with neon paint.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hint... get the Harbor Freight one... it has a loop (or the ones I have do which are now eons old... sheesh they may not even sell em anymore for all I know) to tie cap to lanyard line... this way cap can hang whilst using.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go Bars are bendable rods that put pressure on the braces (inside guitar body) while gluing them to the top and backs of unassembled guitar bodies.

Ah, thank you Rusty.

Even though my family is grateful I never took up an instrument, I can relate because some remodeling projects required small braces, under tension, to allow glued parts to set up.

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the poker chip method. There is time lost transitioning from swinging to digging, so marking targets can be helpful. But the big drawback I see is if you are trying to learn what a target sounds, or reads you won't remember what this chip was saying through your detector. In a area where I want to dig every target it works well, can go back with just a shovel and pinpointer.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some other things i use when doing a search. I have Diver bag that i carry 8 wooden stakes in painted Pink, 8 White pasture plastic stakes i can step on and they stick in the ground,a can of pink spray paint. A line of sight compass a hundred foot measuring roll up tape. Pad of paper i can write notes on. A plastic jar with a few rings and coins i can use to check my detectors readings with. When i go do a search I always take my bag with me not knowing what I need i just try and have what i need .

scott565

Apr 20, 2009
Lots of good ideas here, and such great ideas for almost every terrain.

One of the common reasons I use the poker chips is when hunting with some one else, I can share a target and use it to teach them how the detector responds to a signal.
They can get to the spot at their convenience, without disrupting their current path.

So far, I have not figured out how to mark targets under water! :unhappysmiley:

-Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread