pinkmagnolia

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2020
NC
Detector(s) used
Apex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a piece of aluminum home and run your machine over it. See what it rings up as on your machine and remember that # and memorize the tone to you can avoid it in the future. Other than that, all I know is dig everything. Good luck!

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I’m afraid to say but if you stop digging those aluminum signals you’ll miss gold rings and gold chains. You have to dig aluminum targets to get the gold. You’re going to dig lots of trash and pieces of foil and aluminum but along with that you will be surprised with the reward of gold. Just the nature of the game. Gotta dig the trash to get the treasure.

OP
OP
JMac48

JMac48

Dec 17, 2013
Lol can’t believe the chunks of aluminum I’m not talking cans. It would imagine having kids play around this stuff.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pieces of aluminum are pretty much everywhere. Doesn't matter the detector you're using, you'll just have to dig them. If you really learn and understand your detector you can probably eliminate SOME of the aluminum targets but not all of them.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Aluminum cans get run over with mowers in parks and then you have can shrapnel everywhere. Somehow it just gets everywhere.

OP
OP
JMac48

JMac48

Dec 17, 2013
This is as if someone threw a ingot of aluminum in the mulcher just to see what would happen lol.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't ever dig aluminum, pulltabs or nickels and you will leave all the gold for the rest of us

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All kinds of crap ends up in the bark after going through the wood chipper. It just depends on the source of the wood. I just go ahead and dig it all out of the tot lots. Sometimes you end up finding something NICE! At least, the tot lot gets much cleaner and safer.

OP
OP
JMac48

JMac48

Dec 17, 2013
Trust me I dig everything just never experienced giant chunks of aluminum that’s all I was getting at.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is as if someone threw a ingot of aluminum in the mulcher just to see what would happen lol.

Can slaw. The city uses the chips from when they cut trees down for the tot lots. Cans get thrown in the chipper and can slaw comes out. One of the park maintenance guys told me they chuck cans in so the supervisors don't catch them slacking. The other guy said, "We throw a few in just to screw with you detector guys." Still not sure if he was serious or not.

Searching chips? Try this. Cut the bottom out of a Tupperware sheet cake container, add a piece of 1/2 inch plastic screen from the hobby shop. Pop out a handful swish it around eyeball it retrieve and dump. Takes about ten or twenty seconds. I just leave it on the ground & kick it along for three of four targets.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that bark doesn't sift well. Sometimes the bark is really packed down too. I've tried using my sand scoop, but, I find that just using my Lesche and a pin pointer works best.

OP
OP
JMac48

JMac48

Dec 17, 2013
I find that bark doesn't sift well. Sometimes the bark is really packed down too. I've tried using my sand scoop, but, I find that just using my Lesche and a pin pointer works best.

I agree it’s really packed here as well.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The fun and adventures of wood chip and can slaw. I particularly despise the round foil drink tabs too. Wood chips are even more fun when they are wet. The first inch or 2 dry then you get on down and it is mud soup.
Something else that seems common in the tot lots are shoe and jean rivets. Always nice when you isolate such a small target that sounds ok and try to find it. YAY so much fun!
I've noticed too that unless the coins are less than an inch deep and were dropped a couple days ago they always come out horribly rusted and corroded. The tannins in the wood really works a number on clad. I've found nails, pistol bullets, rifle bullets, and also .177 caliber pellets in tot lot chips. The best strategy is to use a smaller than stock coil size first. Then go back with your stock coil once the beeps stop with the small coil. It will take you some visits to get things clean enough where you detect actual keepers. It can be done, but with a lot of trips and dedication. I've done it so it is possible. The bigger problem though is being able to get into places. Most are locked down and the busy body neighbors like to call the po-po and sheriff department. It's public property and there is no rule against it but they strongly hint for you to leave. One of my favorite places has put up cameras now. Can't say I enjoy detecting with a camera watching me 24/7.

If you have fun with wood chips wait until you get to try out the new replacement- rubber tire shreds. It's really interesting when you run across the steel belts in that medium.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Have aluminum “balls” the size of bb’s in some of the tot lots here. It’s like a slag. Almost as if someone peppered the site to discourage MD’ers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread