Sick Groundhog-take to hospital or get a new detector??

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mother, now 80 years young, purchased a Garrett Groundhog VLF/TR detector in 1980, and has used it up until 15 years ago. Batteries were removed, and detector kept in case....it's in very good condition.

She wanted to detect with me this past weekend...put in new batteries...got a blip sound, needle on meter pegged to the right...checked all connections....no joy.

Mom really likes the SIMPLICITY of the toggle switch...search all metal, get a signal, flip to discriminate (it either beeps or not, depending on the disc. setting). She doesn't want the bells and whistles of depth, or IDing other than just basic discrimination. She doesn't want motion discrimination.

What should she do? Send the detector to Garrett for repair, or purchase a new detector, and if so which one closely resembles the old Garrett Groundhog's features??

Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
The Groundhog was a great little machine. I'd call Garrett or get on their website first. Tell the repair center what the problem is, maybe it's something simple that can be done without sending it off. Of course, whatever Mama wants--- ;)

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stoney56,

thanks for reply!? I emailed Garrett 2 days ago, and await a response. I may just call them up too per your suggestion!

Do you know of modern detectors with the Groundhog's features?

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Chirper, not right offhand. But the Ace 250 seems to have a pretty good folowing. It also is pretty light so she might be able to handle it better. I know the handle of the Groundhog sure wore down the elbow after a couple hours.

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your replies....they were helpful. Garrett replied to my email, and they will fix the Groundhog for a reasonable fee. Mom jumped at the chance to get her "friend" back in good health, so we will be mailing it to Garrett in tomorrow's mail. I think she will be delighted, and she is already thinking of new sites to visit to use it!!

While I was visiting her, I used my Fisher CZ6a on Dad's coin garden that he set up in the early 80's. ..I dug up a silver dime and penny to Mom's delight. The soil is so acidic here in the Charleston WV area that the penny was almost melted away. The dime had a lot of patina, but was in good shape. Dad, who lives in an assisted care facility, will get a kick out of the found coins.

I am truly blessed with great parents! Metal detecting is helping us to regain some of the fun and sense of adventure that is sometimes missing as age creeps in!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
That's really great, chirper. Thank you for letting me help! Enjoy you parents while you can and keep your Mom happy-sounds like they did a great job of raising you and it truely shows. I'm sure your folks are very proud. Have a good time and looking forward to the finds you both make. HH and take care. Stoney

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Follow-up:

Well, Mom received her revitalized Garrett Groundhog yesterday following factory repair...about 50.00. Appears to be working according to specifications. The only disappointment was that the technician broke the end of the battery compartment, and didn't report or repair this damage. I contacted Garrett via email, and Louise reported she would send us a new one immediately....GREAT SERVICE!

I used the Groundhog TR/VLF on our coin garden. There have been comments about how heavy and awkward this detector was, but I disagree. It is nearly perfectly balanced...I can support the detector with one finger at the center of gravity which is right at the grip.

Using the Ground hog was a cinch....Garrett incorporated "no motion" discrimination and all metal search modes. At the time (early 80s), this was a prime selling feature, and the "motion" discrimination was criticised and belittled.? In our coin garden, the Ground Hog had easy, dead on pinpointing, and was picking up the coin signals VERY WELL!! I was impressed!

BTW: Mom is now a member of TreasureNet, with the username tonka1997. We are still looking for an avatar...maybe a 1942 cheerleading photo ...she was quite the looker!!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
chirper, glad to hear it! Looking forward to seeing some of her finds. I know you made her proud. Good luck and HH 8)

S

Sweettoothbear

Great story and glad your Mom is happy... I will keep an eye out for her screen name.

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the Garrett Groundhog is snorting and getting the job done for Mom. She is a lot of fun to detect with...always thinking of new places to explore, and does about as well as I do with my Fisher CZ6a.

Garrett did a great job of repairing this 80s detector!

I want the ADS toggle switch for MY detectors!!! Change search modes with a press of your thumb.....

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here we are 15 years later. Mom is able to live alone, and still prizes her Garrett Groundhog. She would give most of us a run for our money at finding coins/relics. With severe arthritis, a hip replacement, and vascular issues of legs she is unable to stoop and dig. I would put her detecting skills using her Groundhog next to most current machines and expertise! She is intuitive and fully trusts her machine.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
My oldie did the job very very well back in the old days and it still works. My deepest old coins were found with my 80's machine and a 12" coil. Had to hip mount the box to be able to swing it. It was like 8.5 pounds wihtout the large coil but, like you said, perfectly balanced. It sure went through a lot of 9V batteries though...

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those 9v batteries are a lot cheaper and better now!

Attakpilot

Aug 8, 2020
FL East Coast
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Pulsedive
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And here I thought you were debating putting your pet down due to a large vet bill vs. getting a new detector... :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread