What Have You Ever Found WITHOUT the Detector, While Metal Detecting?

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While metal detecting I have found various sight find items not found by the detector.

I guess the most valuable would be a broken swiss watch that I got $50 for parts on Ebay.

I have also found some nice goggles, sunglasses, and about 2 dozen fossils, mostly giant clam fossils, some fairly large about as big as a softball.

Also found a couple of cool pieces of driftwood and some holy limestone pieces that would fetch a few dollars.

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Years ago my detecting buddy and I were at a very small Seattle area
park, and while he was working the graveled edge of the road, I went
over to detect around an older tree. As I stood up from digging a
Merc, I saw a piece of blue ribbon sticking out of a small, cloth bag
that was just sitting in an old notch in the tree trunk.

Had a note inside titled "To the finder". It said "have a happy day".
Along with the note was a nice fat bud, which made for a very relaxed
evening. rollone.gif

Just as I was about to walk over and tell Steve about it, he hollers
at me to come see what he found. I couldn't believe it, but in that
hard gravel (that people parked on) about 2' from the edge of the
pavement he digs out an 1899 Barber dime.

I still think I made the better find...:occasion14:

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found some rings top of the ground. My buddy found a $100 bill local park. I can say for sure the most crazy find for me was a keg of Bud with the tap in the woods local park. I was back there many times never saw anyone looking for it. The distributor paid me the refund deposits.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a nice waterproof rechargeable milwaukee headlamp out in the woods, still use it to this day.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my oldest coin walking back to the car with the detector slung across my shoulder....a double dated maravedi...1621 and 1652. It was laying teed up ontop of the sand in plain sight !! I pointed it out to my partner then picked it up !!

Debbilou

Jan 25, 2021
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sabre II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, my very most amazing find (not only because I eyeballed it but I think it's just an amazing find LOL) was found while I was metal detecting in a corn field in winter in upstate NY. I always look around on the ground while I'm swinging and it had rained and on the top of a little pillar of dirt was this Fugio Cent!!!! I also found an old flint from a musket (which was later stolen, I was so angry) and several arrowheads over the years. This old helmet and big cast iron what I think may be a morter (I had to lug it out of the woods, it weighs 13 pounds).
20210117_082317.jpg 20210126_075748.jpg 20210125_063111.jpg And several dropped deer antlers. More but these are my favorites

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found cash, sunglasses, clothes,dock lines,anchors, just go where all the drunks go to drink by boat

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found $365.00 in a bank envelope once. My car had just broken with another week till payday, and I enough groceries and diapers for four more days. Angels are real.:skullflag:

Armstrong

Apr 24, 2020
Jurassic Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a lose diamond behind a set of baseball bleachers. Theres about 3 feet of paved area behind them before the grass. It was getting dark and the lights from nearby made me see the shine from it 10 feet away. Probably fake but I haven't got it tested yet as you need appointments for the stores and I'm in no rush.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waaay too much stuff to list lol. Around $800-1000+ in cash from different finds, silver jewelry ( no gold I could get but theres a chain in the asphalt I think about sometimes lol) dozens of sunglasses, snorkels etc. and my favorite find from Sandy, a concretion lump with 28 coins embedded in it. I saw it rolling around in the surf with pieces of old ship timbers. I ran out and grabbed it in between waves.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy....I would like to see that clump o coins. That sounds incredible !!

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once while immersed in tranquil reflection while metal detecting in the deep woods, I found my soul, but I traded it for a treasure map.

johnnyjohnson2043

Aug 26, 2019
Fort Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a $50 bill just walking down the street one day a few years back and a $20 bill the other day. Mostly I just find pennies and the occasional dime or quarter.

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled up to a gas station late at night and a guy walked up to me while I was in my truck. I rolled the window down and he said I'm not going to ask you for money!! Can I give you some money? And handed me $68...he immediately walked off into the darkness. I was speechless. He came running back saying wait wait here's some more and dumped a handful of change inside the truck and ran off

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian tomahawk, gold chain on the beach

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I have found cash money bills many times, at least 3 times comes to mind.
Found a $10 walking into a movie theater in the parking lot.
Found a wad of ones and fives walking out of the office building on the sidewalk.

I have these coins when arrowhead relic hunting in the field without my metal detector.
The 1876 CC quarter was the most exciting. Sure its extremely worn, but still a decent find.
20170120_163921.jpg
A 1876 cc twenty cent could be worth some SERIOUS bucks as only 10,000 were minted.
I knew this when I found it, and it was covered in mud. I found this after the 1982 flood outside of St. Louis Missouri.

The 1876 cc twenty cent piece is diameter: 22 mm Mass / Weight: 5 grams.
The 1876 CC Seated Liberty Quarters is diameter: 24.3 mm Mass / Weight: 6.25 grams.

Very close when one is outside in the winter wind, wet and you and the coin is covered in mud. I stuck it in my bag along with wild thoughts until I could get home and clean it up to learn what I had.

Unfortunately it was not a winning ticket in the mindset of wild value, but the experience and find was worth gold.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ride an electric bicycle and constanty finding tools that fall off somebody's vehicle. Occaisional piece of jewelry. I guess people lose stuff getting into their vehicle in the morning rush hour.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tranquility.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread