What is your favorite silver spoon you found?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine would have to be the first silver I ever found it was with a bounty hunter I don’t know what I was doing. I was driving my wife to work and being off that day I decided to drive around this new town 20 miles from where we live and see what’s going on. Not knowing Metal Detecting had a kid or anything of that matter I saw an old house that was being Restored for sale so I decided to pull over in that neighborhood and start Metal Detecting his yard. I’m already a DD and I’m thinking Metal Detecting is just my thing. So I heard this big noise and I took my shovel from our garden and made a plug. I’m looking all over for anything and see nothing I covered the plug back up and proceeded to my wife car (it had just rained that day. So I’m muddy I’m ready to put the bounty Hunter and the shovel in my wife’s trunk so I’m trying to knock it off with my foot and it just rubbed it it didn’t knock it off it grazed it and I saw a swirly silver line perfectly where my shovel just missed by a millimeter. I just pulled it out and drove home and was the first time I’ve ever saw anything like this. It was from 1911 and was a baby spoon with Hey Diddle Diggle With a cow jumping over the moon I got to find it online I did buy investigation and knew what I had found my first piece of silver and it was over 100 years old. That was the day I was addicted.Being from New Orleans I’ve been addicted to many things including gambling. I found gambling again I was gambling my time I had the noise of the slot machines in my ears I said, Baby I’m Back! And now I have been detecting for 5 Years and I’ve won many times. Life is good 59339413351__2410F891-98D7-4F55-B20F-9AC7FF897E39.jpg
59339411813__D9F3BBE9-07C2-40D7-9D44-519D1504DAE2.jpg
59339410366__9C67F7CA-526E-4F6A-B065-4026EE269B52.jpg

Upvote 0

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice spoon. Every utensil I've ever found has been junk.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heres the last silver one
was hunting a farm field with group of guys that had hammered this place
first time for me here - we headed to vehicles to take a break - i kept hunting along the road which was littered with slaw
and they laughed - "all you will get round here is cans" - I told them - "if thats what everyone thinks and youve skipped over
this spot...what about what was lost under the trash here?"
I was hitting can with every swing then got a hit that read as silver dollar on my screen and decided to digg it
they shook their heads and laughed - i dug down a foot and popped this silver one up - it weighed an ounce -
reason it rang up as silver dollar - they almost sh#t
attachment.php

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not silver but most valuable spoon
attachment.php

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Nice finds guys. TMH in CT, don't give up! I like many many folks, I'm sure, have found soooo many silver plated ones over the years I thought it was just never gonna happan. BUT THEN, last year, I got a super silver hit and sure enough, a 37 gram silver spoon! It's all twisted and mangled, but I love it! Then, later last year I dug a "coin" silver spoon In a public area. It was damn near two feet deep! The deepest silver I have dug, I'm almost sure of it. I need to get some pics and post...I want Red Coat's opinion on the coin silver spoon.
Cool thread, Truth! Let's post 'em up folks.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds guys. TMH in CT, don't give up! I like many many folks, I'm sure, have found soooo many silver plated ones over the years I thought it was just never gonna happan. BUT THEN, last year, I got a super silver hit and sure enough, a 37 gram silver spoon! It's all twisted and mangled, but I love it! Then, later last year I dug a "coin" silver spoon In a public area. It was damn near two feet deep! The deepest silver I have dug, I'm almost sure of it. I need to get some pics and post...I want Red Coat's opinion on the coin silver spoon.
Cool thread, Truth! Let's post 'em up folks.

Man grandpa some pictures I’d love to see it. 2 feet down you’re a soldier good job [emoji1360]

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Casper what a beautiful spoon unbelievable how old it is. I’d hold on to that to!
its really hard to find them complete - I got lots of handles and bowls and pieces of handles and bowls from them
this one I believe was saved from the plow cause we hit the field just after they lifted an early 1700s house and bulldozed
all the dirt and field stones from cellarhole - they put a modern cellar in under it
dirt and rocks were dumped in field - rocks were removed and dirt was spread out - it was just under the surface and went off like a can
it probably would not have survived the next plowing

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for asking about this, Truth! I've never been able to post about this broken little spoon, but now I can!

The very thin silver spoon broke off at the maker's mark, but I was able to find information on that "WL" mark and it's attributed to William Coffin Little, a Massachusetts silversmith who worked from 1765-1790 (picture of a paper I printed out included below). I can't be certain this is one of his spoons, but the mark looks right and I dug this one from a site where I know there was once a homesite that is on our oldest town map (1853), so the time period fits.

I put little tags on finds that I think are special so I won't forget what they are (thus the brown tag on this one).

Hope you enjoy!

Brian

g7Kh0yv.jpg KIANni8.jpg
yB3yKdb.jpg
15AmCir.jpg
gb81oAD.jpg

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20210131_100115.jpg 20210131_100123.jpg 20210131_100143.jpg 20210131_100152.jpg
Not my biggest or best but it is my favorite!!
Found last spring in the bahamas !! Its inscribed and I love the obvious tip ware on it...it was used !!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still looking for my first, I think people that lived in my area in the 1800's were dirt poor :-)

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection of recoveries everyone!

Out of all the spoons I've found this is my favorite. A sterling "dog-head" whistle spoon.

Dog Head sterling.jpg

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_1308.jpg
These are spoons that I bought that are from Louisiana this one below is silver would beautiful craftsmanship It has initials below the spoon with 1906 IMG_1308.jpg
image-2021-01-31-21:48:46-581.jpg
image-2021-01-31-21:49:04-898.jpg
Try to get all the marksmanship on the silver spoon on the handle there is a eagle but with a shield with Lady LibertyAnd I Mischel’s with 1906

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats tough question for myself but I thought I share this spoon because its unique. But this tiny one I found many years back its tiny spoon made into a pin. Its Stering. The Nickel to compare size of it. I rember bring to club meeting the guy thought it was used for dope, I said nooo if anything salt. Dug at an old picnic grove thats gave me some killer finds.Thanks for looking HH
Michael pic_20210210_162126.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions