AA Energizer Lithium Battery Question

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AA Energizer Lithium Battery Question

I have 2 White’s Metal Detecters (TDI Beach Hunter & XLT). Both take the standard White’s 8 AA battery pack. I’m trying the new leak proof 1.5 volt AA Energizer Lithium Ion batteries, however the 8 pack reads 14.15 volts. (12 volts is the recommended voltage). I also heard that increasing the voltage increases the operating temperature of the batteries. Is the voltage of these batteries too high? Will they run too warm?
Thank you in advance for your feedback. Tt

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should be close enough. Most modern detectors have a voltage regulator internally to compensate for the slight voltage differences between battery manufactures and battery types. The drain on either battery should be the same, which is where the heat would be generated.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say it "reads" 14.15 volts I'm assuming you are using a volt meter to test them. Batteries with no load will usually read higher. Once you put them in your detector they will be under load and will read much lower (nominally around 12v) so you should be fine.

OP
OP
Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you cudamark, I appreciate the reply. H Digs

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you mts, good information. Thanks for the reply. Tt

Last edited:

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detectors don't draw enough current to cause the batteries to heat up enough to cause any problems.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with everything that's been said. Please make sure you dispose of your Lithium batteries properly too.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a Lithium battery pack start a fire at work years ago, so we started the practice of taping both ends of all batteries before putting them into the recycling bin.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a Lithium battery pack start a fire at work years ago, so we started the practice of taping both ends of all batteries before putting them into the recycling bin.

Definitely good advice. Same applies to standard 9v batteries. Anything that has terminals that are close together that can be easily shorted out should be taped before disposal.

We had a lady come to a metal detecting club meeting with an extra 9v battery in her purse for her detector. She shouted out that her purse was smoking. Turns out that 9v was being shorted out by her car keys and almost caught her purse on fire.

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
started the practice of taping both ends of all batteries before putting them into the recycling bin

That won't stop lithium batteries from igniting if they are crushed or punctured.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread