What’s this symbol on historic map?

xpauliber

Jun 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m researching areas to detect using old DOT maps and I keep seeing a symbol that isn’t on the map legend. Does anyone know what this means? Ive noticed them at different intersections of roads.

Here’s a link to the original map: https://gis.penndot.gov/BPR_PDF_FILES/MAPS/Type_10_GHS_Historical_Scans/Huntingdon_1941.pdf

920A00A3-8E0D-4C18-9750-6FB107427145.jpeg

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oooohhhh I love this game, can I play?

I have two examples that I've been wondering about:
1. the "S H" is easy on this, it's a School House. But what is the "W S"? I can't figure that out.

View attachment 1906333

2. And this is the one I REALLY am interested in getting help with:
- The "GM" on the left side is a Grist Mill, I think.
- The "B.S.Shop" is a Black Smith Shop, I think.
- But what is "COAL BANK" with that upside-down "U" symbol? I am guessing that it's a surface coal mine (and not a bank as in the financial institution), but is it possible it's actually a "Bank" with money?

View attachment 1906337

Weigh Station ? Would be my guess.

My guess The Symbol under Coal bank Means "the Bank is Here" It actually Looks like a bank of coal :laughing7:

Last edited:

Brian93436

Jan 26, 2008
Lompoc
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many open pit mines/quarries/sediment mines use weigh stations on roads exiting the mines, so... "WS" may indicate a weigh station? My second guess and preference would be... Whiskey Saloon!

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many open pit mines/quarries/sediment mines use weigh stations on roads exiting the mines, so... "WS" may indicate a weigh station? My second guess and preference would be... Whiskey Saloon!
Thanks all.

I managed to confirm from an official source (a National Registry of Historic Places filing) that the WS was a Wagon Shop.
I also may have permission to metal detector there later this month (homeowner asked me to check back after they finish some renovations).

I’ll let you know how that goes.

- Brian.

TNglen

Feb 24, 2008
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500, Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• water xing.jpg
    water xing.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 37

Electrician819

Apr 8, 2017
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oooohhhh I love this game, can I play?

I have two examples that I've been wondering about:
1. the "S H" is easy on this, it's a School House. But what is the "W S"? I can't figure that out.

View attachment 1906333

2. And this is the one I REALLY am interested in getting help with:
- The "GM" on the left side is a Grist Mill, I think.
- The "B.S.Shop" is a Black Smith Shop, I think.
- But what is "COAL BANK" with that upside-down "U" symbol? I am guessing that it's a surface coal mine (and not a bank as in the financial institution), but is it possible it's actually a "Bank" with money?

View attachment 1906337
I think that WS stands for Water Supply or Water Source

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’re welcome, and very interesting Brian. In case it’s of any use to anyone, these are the tables in full from “Conventional Symbols for Mine Maps” by Lester C Uren in ‘Mining & Scientific Press’ [16 August 1919]:

View attachment 1906426 View attachment 1906427
Redcoat great information, can I ask you is there a book or internet information that lists all symbols on these old maps. Thanks

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Redcoat great information, can I ask you is there a book or internet information that lists all symbols on these old maps. Thanks

I wish there was! Generally, there doesn't seem to have been a universally agreed 'standardisation', with various map-makers using their own terminology and symbology. Once you know who produced the map and its approximate age, you then have to search for publications from the same source that include a reference table in my experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread