Help Identifying Shotgun Shell

lucky larry

Apr 16, 2013
Found this shotgun shell while MD near a lake by my home in north Jersey. I spent hours on the web looking for background info/pic but wasn't able to find an exact match. The closest had the same markings except it was a "12" gauge shell not a "16". Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks Shotgun Shell (2).jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

lucky larry

Apr 16, 2013
Yup. Got that. But I was trying to determine the date range for when it was manufactured. I found hundreds pics of of shells that had some variation of "REMINGTON", "UMC", "NITRO CLUB" and "No 16" but I couldn't find one that looked like the one I found. I did find one that matched up 100% except it was a 12 gauge not a 16 gauge shell.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that one's from the 1920's or so.

Kenosha Kid

Dec 13, 2010
Wisconsin
Yup. Got that. But I was trying to determine the date range for when it was manufactured. I found hundreds pics of of shells that had some variation of "REMINGTON", "UMC", "NITRO CLUB" and "No 16" but I couldn't find one that looked like the one I found. I did find one that matched up 100% except it was a 12 gauge not a 16 gauge shell.

1911-1914. the headstamp was the same for both the 12 & 16 gauge as it was for the headstamp for 1915-1937 shells.

https://aussiemetaldetecting.com/sh...-database/remington-umc-headstamps/#nitroclub

OP
OP
L

lucky larry

Apr 16, 2013
Thanks everyone for your assistance with identifying the production date.
I did some more "digging" last night but unfortunately I still didn't find a like example of the head stamp. That said, I now know more about the history of shotgun shells than I thought possible. That's an aspect of metal detecting that I love; it brings history alive.
Happy hunting...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions