Hello! Newbie Here...Need Recommendations
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By eightpointoutdoors
  • 1 Post By SlateBeltDigger
  • 1 Post By xr7ator
  • 1 Post By CoinHunterAZ
  • 1 Post By Mackaydon
  • 1 Post By birdman

Thread: Hello! Newbie Here...Need Recommendations

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2021
    Nashville, TN
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Hello! Newbie Here...Need Recommendations

Hi everyone! Happy Thursday.

Newbie here. I live in Middle, TN and am wanting to get into Metal Detecting!

I was hoping to maybe get some recommendation on a Metal Detector for someone who is new? What is the recommended price range? Any recommended Brands / Models?

Thanks!

us
    Always A Great Day In PA

Sep 2020
    Bangor, PA
    AT Pro Equinox 600
    377 times
    Metal Detecting
    Hello and welcome!!!!

Depending on your budget, what you'd like to hunt for, and how serious you think you'll take this once you're geared up...there are a lot of great mid-priced machines out there. I think like the rest of us, once you catch on you'll be hooked. I started with a Garrett ACE400 and QUICKLY outgrew it. I wanted something that I could ground balance (calibrate the machine to the soil you're detecting on so you're not going bonkers listening to false signals, in a nutshell), then I upgraded to the AT Pro. I also feel like I outgrew that, and upgraded to an Equinox 600 which has been nothing short of a GREAT machine. Do your research, ask questions here, and don't make the mistake I made by starting with a machine that didn't do what I expected. If I could go back in time I would have gotten the Nox600 right out of the chute.
    lenmac65 likes this.

us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 2186 Wheaties
    2712 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by SlateBeltDigger View Post
    Hello and welcome!!!!

Depending on your budget, what you'd like to hunt for, and how serious you think you'll take this once you're geared up...there are a lot of great mid-priced machines out there. I think like the rest of us, once you catch on you'll be hooked. I started with a Garrett ACE400 and QUICKLY outgrew it. I wanted something that I could ground balance (calibrate the machine to the soil you're detecting on so you're not going bonkers listening to false signals, in a nutshell), then I upgraded to the AT Pro. I also feel like I outgrew that, and upgraded to an Equinox 600 which has been nothing short of a GREAT machine. Do your research, ask questions here, and don't make the mistake I made by starting with a machine that didn't do what I expected. If I could go back in time I would have gotten the Nox600 right out of the chute.
    If I could go back in time I would have gotten the Nox600 right out of the chute.

You can say that now, because you have "worked" your way up to the Nox 600 and learned the ropes. Had you purchased the Nox right out of the chute you could have been overwhelmed with the technology and parked it. I started with a Whites coin master. I was raking in the coins and jewelry. In two years it paid for its self in just the clad. I was happy with it and I learned.
    Last edited by No gold in NY; Mar 18, 2021 at 01:44 PM. Reason: fix quote

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
    5158 times
    Back when I started in the 1980's, you could go to the local detector store and rent one for the day. Any way you can borrow one for a little while? There are tons of these machines in closets due to being purchased, owner going and giving it a try and digging too much trash, then, never going out again.
    CoinHunterAZ likes this.

us
    Feb 2013
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
    1418 times
    First off, Welcome to Treasurenet. My recommendation would also be to find a metal detector dealer near you. "Let your fingers do the walking", and call them and ask if they have any demo/display models that you could possibly try out before buying one, and for their recommendations. Metal detecting is a super fun and rewarding hobby, but it's not for everyone. It takes a LOT of patience, to learn the machines and research out good places to hunt. If you're willing to put in the time, the rewards are well worth it. I too started detecting in the early 1980's, and the detector technology has improved exponentially. That said, my old 80's Tesoro is still with me for a reason...it still flat finds stuff. I now mostly use a Minelab Equinox 800, but I wouldn't exactly call it a beginner's machine though. Good luck!
    xr7ator likes this.

us
    Hunter

May 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
    2884 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Welcome from Texas

Back in the day, my first was a Bounty Hunter 1100 due to the affordability (<$250). It still makes a great coin shooter on any terrain and can be used in shallow rivers, but isn't the best (of course, already upgraded). But is said to be a good beginners MD that is at least cost effective. My suggestions from my experience are BH Lone Star Pro and Garrett Ace 200. The others above^ make good pointers to starting this awesome hobby. Find the right one for you and good luck

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson taken ten years ago)
    Minelab Explorer
    16791 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    8PT; Welcome to treasurenet from SoCal.
    You may wish to contact other from your fine state who are on the Tenn. Forum here: Tennessee
    Don....
    CASPER-2 likes this.

us
    Jan 2005
    Choctaw Beach Florida
    Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
    1928 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Equinox is hard to beat.
    I hear the simplex is good for the money also.
    Last edited by birdman; Mar 18, 2021 at 09:11 PM.
    SlateBeltDigger likes this.
    God and country.

us
    Apr 2015
    s.w.washington
    tesoro outlaw vaquero, anfibio multi, Makro pulse dive
    62 times
    Simplex

Charter Member
    us
    Travis Mitchell

Feb 2016
    Elizabethtown, IN
    XP Deus ORX, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
    871 times
    I 2nd find a local dealer there are several in your area. I would recommend you take a look at an AT PRO, Equinox 600, or XP line up. If you want to go budget a little bit consider the Simplex or Minelab Vanquish lineup.

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2016
    FLA
    950 times
    welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Cat-like reflexes with a sloth-like brain

us
    Mar 2021
    Nashville, TN
    4 times
    Hello All!

Thanks so much!

Went with a Garrett Ace 300 for starters!

Dec 2020
    14 times
    Minelab Vanquish or Equinox. They are multi-frequeintcy

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links