Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello and welcome!!!!

Depending on your budget, what you'd like to hunt for, and how serious you think you'll take this once you're geared up...there are a lot of great mid-priced machines out there. I think like the rest of us, once you catch on you'll be hooked. I started with a Garrett ACE400 and QUICKLY outgrew it. I wanted something that I could ground balance (calibrate the machine to the soil you're detecting on so you're not going bonkers listening to false signals, in a nutshell), then I upgraded to the AT Pro. I also feel like I outgrew that, and upgraded to an Equinox 600 which has been nothing short of a GREAT machine. Do your research, ask questions here, and don't make the mistake I made by starting with a machine that didn't do what I expected. If I could go back in time I would have gotten the Nox600 right out of the chute.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello and welcome!!!!

Depending on your budget, what you'd like to hunt for, and how serious you think you'll take this once you're geared up...there are a lot of great mid-priced machines out there. I think like the rest of us, once you catch on you'll be hooked. I started with a Garrett ACE400 and QUICKLY outgrew it. I wanted something that I could ground balance (calibrate the machine to the soil you're detecting on so you're not going bonkers listening to false signals, in a nutshell), then I upgraded to the AT Pro. I also feel like I outgrew that, and upgraded to an Equinox 600 which has been nothing short of a GREAT machine. Do your research, ask questions here, and don't make the mistake I made by starting with a machine that didn't do what I expected. If I could go back in time I would have gotten the Nox600 right out of the chute.

If I could go back in time I would have gotten the Nox600 right out of the chute.

You can say that now, because you have "worked" your way up to the Nox 600 and learned the ropes. Had you purchased the Nox right out of the chute you could have been overwhelmed with the technology and parked it. I started with a Whites coin master. I was raking in the coins and jewelry. In two years it paid for its self in just the clad. I was happy with it and I learned.

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Back when I started in the 1980's, you could go to the local detector store and rent one for the day. Any way you can borrow one for a little while? There are tons of these machines in closets due to being purchased, owner going and giving it a try and digging too much trash, then, never going out again.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, Welcome to Treasurenet. My recommendation would also be to find a metal detector dealer near you. "Let your fingers do the walking", and call them and ask if they have any demo/display models that you could possibly try out before buying one, and for their recommendations. Metal detecting is a super fun and rewarding hobby, but it's not for everyone. It takes a LOT of patience, to learn the machines and research out good places to hunt. If you're willing to put in the time, the rewards are well worth it. I too started detecting in the early 1980's, and the detector technology has improved exponentially. That said, my old 80's Tesoro is still with me for a reason...it still flat finds stuff. I now mostly use a Minelab Equinox 800, but I wouldn't exactly call it a beginner's machine though. Good luck!

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome from Texas :wave:

Back in the day, my first was a Bounty Hunter 1100 due to the affordability (<$250). It still makes a great coin shooter on any terrain and can be used in shallow rivers, but isn't the best (of course, already upgraded). But is said to be a good beginners MD that is at least cost effective. My suggestions from my experience are BH Lone Star Pro and Garrett Ace 200. The others above^ make good pointers to starting this awesome hobby. Find the right one for you and good luck:icon_thumright:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox is hard to beat.
I hear the simplex is good for the money also.

Last edited:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I 2nd find a local dealer there are several in your area. I would recommend you take a look at an AT PRO, Equinox 600, or XP line up. If you want to go budget a little bit consider the Simplex or Minelab Vanquish lineup.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .:hello:

Chuck M

Greenie
Dec 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting