Creepiest Detecting story????

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Well there were these two guys who walked up to me with the dew wraps flannels and one had a gun in his waistband. I noticed their shadow as I was down recovering a target. One said, "You be findin' gold?"
"Sometimes", said I, looking up to see who was inquiring.
"Lemme see" said one, tapping the butt of his pistol.
"Didn't say this time", replied a smiling I as the security guard from the site walked up to kick me/us out.
While the two questionables wlked off and disappeared quickly, the security guard told he had just been informed by his boss no more detecting would be allowed at the construction site. The developer, a real high roller, walked up after getting out of his limo as we were talking and inquired about my recoveries.
I showed a merc and a barber dime and an IH and he thought it was cool and talked the security guard into leaving me alone. Gave him a couple goodies for that!
I've had some fun searching in front of crack and gang houses too, but scary usually turns out OK at the end of the day. Some of the best places to hunt are in the worst neighborhoods, as long as you're in and out early on in the day it's usually alright.

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Kentucky

MDNOOB, it all started in the late 1980's. I received a letter and map from a man in columbus ohio. He related that he was sending this map in hopes that i could figure it out. the map was a copy of a rubbing that fit on a 8 1/2 by 11 sheet. The man stated that they tried for six months to figure it out, but no luck. The map was found outside of Clay City, Kentucky on his uncles farm and was used has a door stop.

Having no other info on this, i used topo maps of the area and after 3 months located a curve on the Kentucky River that matched the map and looking south found the rest of the signs. I sent a letter to this man and it was returned no such address. Myself and several others went to this area. The topo map showed an old trail that went down to a creek. We parked at the top of this trail and walked down toward the creek, It would be about a 1/2 mile. We came to an old cabin that had fallen in on its self.
At this time one of the girls that was with us asked why the birds stopped singing. No one could figure it out. No sound, no wind, it was odd.

The others went a little ahead of me. Just past the cabin about 20 yards there was a small path, both sides of the trail was overgrown and hard to see more than 20 feet. I stopped at the path and told the others that i was going to see where the path went. About 10 feet on this path, to my right i saw a grave and beside it four more, on the left three more. I called out to the others. We looked at the dates and they showed that they all died on the same date in 1927. The path ended just past the last grave. For some reason that no one can explain, i walked past the end of the path about 10 yards and found another grave. I called the others to come look. The head stone had my name on it, with the dates, born 1804, died 1872. We took a photo of the headstone. All photos turned out except for the one of the headstone, It came out in a redish blue light. To this day, i cannot find out anything on this man or the cabin. After doing research on this, i found that a whole family died in a house fire in 1927.
boomer

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Woah!

And you didn't know anything else about the site other than what was in the man's letter? It just arrived out of the blue? I take it you didn't do any detecting at the site... Did you ever go back to try to get a better photo?

That is darn creepy, it would make a good movie...

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
return

because of other things and working on projects closer to home it was 1997 before i went back. the guys and girls that went with me that day still give me the wooo and shake there hands like it was real creepy. i need to backup to about 1988. i meet paul henson when he came down to where we had been working on the swift silver mine story and met him and a john westfall. he asked what have you found out about the map that was sent to you. all i could say was, how did you know?. he related that westfall asked him to tell the man that the map should be sent to me. westfall said that he was told that i did research and that maybe i could come up with an idea of what the map was leading to. i asked westfall who said that and he said that he dosen't remember. i did not get into research untill about 1995. i explaned what happened and they both said that this was one of a growing number of odd things that happen to treasure hunters. in 1998 a friend showed me a topo map of the creek and on the next topo heading south was a small dot on the map on the same road that we parked on. you know the type that shows a hamlet of less than 50 people, it was just 12 miles away. the hamlet had my last name. i have been down there three times and there is something that makes me feel that i know the area. we stop by the graves and clean it up. the map as to do with this locaton. i just donot know. i want to go this summer to the small village and maybe i will learn something. what happened is always on my mind, it dosn't scare me or worries me. its a research project that i haven't been able to brake. boomer

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Boomer, have you found a family connection to the names yet? Since it is local, and the names are the same, it might make sense to check those family records as far back as possible. County courthouse and birth/death certs might make it seem less spooky you know!

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
research

lowbatts, i have done everything i can think of. i checked all the records on the internet for the name. so far nothing. i have gone to several libraries and at one found the story of a family that lived at this location that there was a house fire and the family died in it. i have setup with some friends that we will go to this small town in march and maybe i can settle this. boomer

Attachments

• image-2254987412.png
    image-2254987412.png
    274.8 KB · Views: 16

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread