Arabic coins from 1600's found in USA point to Pirate?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Mr. Bailey found some very interesting and historical coins. Thank you for the link.

Sam Holden

Sep 26, 2020
NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Bounty Hunter Tracker iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny I just read that yesterday :laughing7: It was very interesting.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDIT: :laughing7: LOL. It's the same link.

Here's another link to the story sent to me by my son who lives in CT.
https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/national-international/discovery-of-ancient-coins-may-solve-mystery-of-murderous-1600s-pirate/2457780/?_osource=SocialFlowFB_CTBrand&fbclid=IwAR3IoBzJVx6sdNcjJp9CgXIV3OiFx3FBmoGtTc6_emmn8UT5dU6B0ciNYHI

The pirate was Capt. Henry Every.

".... On Sept. 7, 1695, the pirate ship Fancy, commanded by Every, ambushed and captured the Ganj-i-Sawai, a royal vessel owned by Indian emperor Aurangzeb, then one of the world’s most powerful men. Aboard were not only the worshipers returning from their pilgrimage, but tens of millions of dollars’ worth of gold and silver.

Until now, historians only knew that Every eventually sailed to Ireland in 1696, where the trail went cold. But Bailey says the coins he and others have found are evidence the notorious pirate first made his way to the American colonies, where he and his crew used the plunder for day-to-day expenses while on the run.

The first complete coin surfaced in 2014 at Sweet Berry Farm in Middletown, a spot that had piqued Bailey’s curiosity two years earlier after he found old colonial coins, an 18th-century shoe buckle and some musket balls.... "

Last edited:

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The cobs being pirate treasure part is understood by anyone that studies their exsistance; however it seems a stretch of the imagination to for someone to claim the Arabic coins source as well. Traders spread all sorts of coins all over North America. (I am no historian and only read the article). Anyone know if this guy is on Tnet? Lets vote him banner!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread