devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The detector that works best for you and fits your needs as to what type of hunting you do. Research and watch Utube videos, a great research tool. Best of luck to you
On your decision.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With Tesoro out of business, no way I would buy one of their machines. In that price range, I'd get the Simplex if you need it to be waterproof, or a Vanquish if you don't.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Conquistador isn't really known for its depth so would not recommend for relic hunting. (more of a Tot Lot killer) Neither is the Simplex really (Although a good machine for a variety of conditions it is lacking in the depth department per my own test garden tests and use)

For those deep 3 ringer bullets I would go Vaquero if I had to chose between the 3 machines. I had a Vaquero that I used in the fields and it hit deep in mild/moderate soil ( I certainly wouldn't buy a Vaquero new though as they are Out of Business but if you can find one in the 250-300 range then that would be fair.)

I'm curious are you asking because your on a $300 dollar budget?

I would add in terms of depth on relics in the field I haven't had too many machines that rival the Vaquero the Deus is very close and the Equinox is on par if not better with stock coil.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

clllclal

Greenie
Aug 31, 2008
The Conquistador isn't really known for its depth so would not recommend for relic hunting. (more of a Tot Lot killer) Neither is the Simplex really (Although a good machine for a variety of conditions it is lacking in the depth department per my own test garden tests and use)

For those deep 3 ringer bullets I would go Vaquero if I had to chose between the 3 machines. I had a Vaquero that I used in the fields and it hit deep in mild/moderate soil ( I certainly wouldn't buy a Vaquero new though as they are Out of Business but if you can find one in the 250-300 range then that would be fair.)

I'm curious are you asking because your on a $300 dollar budget?

I would add in terms of depth on relics in the field I haven't had too many machines that rival the Vaquero the Deus is very close and the Equinox is on par if not better with stock coil.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, on on 3-400 budget. What about a Tesoro Bandido II uMax?” Is that a good relic machine?

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a Teroso historian but if I recall the Bandido II circa 2000/2001 was replaced by just the "uMax" which was the model directly below the Vaquero in price roughly $250 new. Yes it is a good machine - I don't believe people got the same depth from the Umax as they did with the Vaquero though. (The Bandido is before my time)

Have you considered the Minelab Vanquish 440 - much more modern machine and will get you the goods. $279 from Bart @ bigboyhobbies hard to beat.

Also at $279 leaves you with a little bit of budget towards a decent pinpointer saves time looking for a button in a 9" hole.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

clllclal

Greenie
Aug 31, 2008
I'm not a Teroso historian but if I recall the Bandido II circa 2000/2001 was replaced by just the "uMax" which was the model directly below the Vaquero in price roughly $250 new. Yes it is a good machine - I don't believe people got the same depth from the Umax as they did with the Vaquero though. (The Bandido is before my time)

Have you considered the Minelab Vanquish 440 - much more modern machine and will get you the goods. $279 from Bart @ bigboyhobbies hard to beat.

Also at $279 leaves you with a little bit of budget towards a decent pinpointer saves time looking for a button in a 9" hole.

Thanks fir the info. So between a makro simplex and vanquish 440, which one would you choose?

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't go wrong either way from what I hear. I had the Simplex it is a very good machine but personally I think the Vanquish 440 is the real steal of the group with multi IQ. If you were asking about hunting underwater on that budget then the Simplex but for Relic the Vanquish would be my pick.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hear me now, ... believe me later, ... Simplex.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind Tesoro went out of business, no spare parts are being made....

OP
OP
C

clllclal

Greenie
Aug 31, 2008
Just purchased a simplex and waiting to receive. While I’m waiting on it I’ve been researching as much as I can on the machine. What would be a good setting for hunting civil war relics in moderate iron and trash? Thanks for your help.
Chad

Doubloony

Apr 8, 2021
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just purchased a simplex and waiting to receive. While I’m waiting on it I’ve been researching as much as I can on the machine. What would be a good setting for hunting civil war relics in moderate iron and trash? Thanks for your help.
Chad

Dig everything. Seriously. You're going to have to dig everything.

Chuck M

Greenie
Dec 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with a Minelab Vanquish, you won't regret it. I have the Minelab Vanquish 540 and this detector goes deep with great readings and tones. You can't go wrong with Minelab

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ummm guys, he already stated that he bought and is waiting on a Simplex - At that point, recommendations can cease, he has committed. May not be the machine you wanted him to buy, but lets show a little decorum here.
[I have both, Simplex is an excellent machine, Vanquish no opinion as they sent me a lemon and it does not work]

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread