Old Railroad Depot Searches

Argentiferous

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2021
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been searching the site of where an old railroad depot used to be in a small village in rural central Illinois. The depot dates back to the early 1880s and is marked in a layout of the village in a plat map atlas from 1896, but was gone by the time aerial imagery for the area was available (1939). I've been hoping to find a little bit of coinage as the history of the site suggests this area used to be a hub of activity for the community coming to see the trains go by when the railroad station was new. Plus, being a small hub for transportation, there is always the possibility of coinage being about the area.

I haven't scanned too much of the site thus far, but have found a very shallow clad quarter from 1966 that looks like it's been clipped by a lawn mower and a memorial cent that is indiscernible and needs to be worked on to find out the date. Everything deeper on the site thus far has been trash. Today, however, I found an old cap gun toy buried around 8" down under some rocky soil.

20210406_171002[1].jpg

Upvote 0

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cap gun,,seems like we all had one years ago

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your research of that site is bound to pay off, keep at it and good luck

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah we wondered also, they throw off mail bags, unfortunately ours so very old and unrecognizable, to dam many ticks and jaggers, good topic

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread