My last hunt for this year

kickback

Mar 11, 2004
South Dakota
Monday I was to meet my girlfriend for some shopping.She was going to be late.I brought a detected and digging tools along just in case.There is a small,old playground I've had my eye on.The weather was perfect,2 degrees with a 35mph Northwest wind,spitting small snow flakes.Ha,I have this park to my self.I head towards the swings,one of my favorite places to start.Ground balance the M-6 and started searching.I go 2 steps,bang,I get a solid dime hit.I get on my knees and try to push the Lesche digger in,it won't go in.I tired chipping out the coin,no go.I finally scrape of to the side of the pinpoint and get out the clad dime.Cover my hole with a mixture of tears,snow and dirt.Go 2 more swings,bang another dime hit.Down on my knees scrape,scrape scrape,out comes another clad dime.Cover the hole up.By this time I can't feel my fingers in my gloves,my eyes are watering from the wind,I have icicles of,you know what,hanging from my mustache.Its snowing harder.I head to the meeting place,she's there,already and says"Where have you been?"I tell her detecting and hand her the 2 dimes.She looks at me funny.I said the digging is a little tough but I'm sure there's more goodies left if she wants to go.She declined and then offered to buy lunch.I was tempted to pour a cup of coffee in each shoe to warm my feet but figured that wouldn't go over to big.She asked me for Christmas gift suggestions.Here it comes,"Honey,Minelab makes an Explorer SE,if that's too much I'd settle for a Fisher F-75".She wants to try snorkeling so I booked a 7 day trip for us to the Bahamas snorkeling.She doesn't know it yet.I wrapped the tickets in a large box with some lead I found this summer .I knew the lead would come in handy when I dug it last summer(smile).It's -8 F. out right now and going down to -15 degrees before morning.I think I can take the batteries out of the detectors now.It's not even winter yet.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I head to the meeting place,she's there,already and says"Where have you been?"I tell her detecting and hand her the 2 dimes.She looks at me funny

Yeah, I remember those times when my wife would give me "that look," when I gave her a few cents. You could see the wheels spinning in her brain about how many chores I could have been doing.

Have fun in the Bahamas in that warm weather.

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
I just had a "vision" ;D........

Ever see those hats people wear in the summer, that have an umbrella on them? Well, remove the umbrella and replace it with a small dome-tent. When you kneel, you're protected from the wind & elements. You could even wear a hydration pack with hot water to unthaw that frozen ground.............maybe a solar panel on the roof for some heat, fireplace, alittle music, maybe some chardonnay......... ;D

Smitty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread