My New Equinox 600

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know where to start. Just setup my system and I’m a bit overwhelmed. Have it setup with Park 2 and I’m trying to learn the different tones on my lawn. I threw down a gold
Ring and a silver coin. The tones I get seem like a short a long and a short of that makes sense. Is that what big hits sound like? VDI readings were both around 13/14. I have a lot of learning to do lol.

I saw one YouTube video where the guy basically only selected 13, 14 & 20 and up. He said with those setting you can get most of your coins and jewelers. Is that true?

Any tips and/or advice are appreciated.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Download the free user manual on the Minelab official site and read it a few times. I have a printed out manual in a notebook binder to refer to whenever needed. Plenty of Youtube instruction videos too.

OP
OP
B

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Download the free user manual on the Minelab official site and read it a few times. I have a printed out manual in a notebook binder to refer to whenever needed. Plenty of Youtube instruction videos too.

Thank you for the tip! I turned down the sensitivity to 12 and it cut out a lot of the noise.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot will depend on what you're looking for and where you will be hunting. Most places I can hunt with the sensitivity set around 20+/-. I tend to like Park 1 for most land hunts. It seems to me to give the best depth and is most stable. If I'm looking for tiny gold with a 600, I'd use Field 2. That seems to be the most sensitive to that. Start with the stock settings if you can. You can start to tweak them to your specific needs after you get a few dozen hours hunting under your belt. I hunt in 50 tones and all metal, but, that may be too overwhelming at first. Ground and EMI conditions will play a big part in how you can best adjust the machine for optimal hunting. Good Luck!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You knew it had a learning curve before purchase, right ?
You are on the right track trying to get tips and watching videos, but like playing guitar or golf, only way to get pro-efficient is with practice. Nox is not known for great VDI, honestly with any detector, most items that ring up in the jewelry range are going to be junk targets, especially foil and pulltabs. The only real way to increase your odds is to detect places where drops are frequent, such as a beach - And there you are likely to have alot of competition.
Not trying to be negative but the 1st step to enjoying this hobby is to root your expectations in reality, and the reality is with any detector, the ratio of good targets [old coins, jewelry, relics] vs junk [bottle caps, tabs, foil, nails, modern clad] is probably about 1 to 300 - As stated, you can reduce that ratio only by hunting spots that have good targets, and obviously finding those are quite a challenge in and of itself.

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/max, Explorer, CTX, Tesoro Tejon, and many other..BUT MY GO TO MACHINE= Equinox 600 stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Start with 5 tone...
I never use 50 tone.....just like 5 better

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I received mine while there was 2 feet of snow on the ground, so I charged it and messed around with air tests etc. It made me nuts and was very chaotic, and I figured that this was going to be a pain in the neck to master. Once I got it out in the real world and started in Park 1, it was everything I thought it would be. I got used to it using Park 1 then moved to Park 2 for most of my hunting. Give it some time in the field. Turn it on, noise cancel it, and have at it. My biggest mistake was trying to make adjustments to the factory settings, INCLUDING ground balancing. I recently did a factory reset and don't manually GB it, and I have been doing much better recovering targets. TRUST THE NOX....TRUST...THE....NOX...

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick with the factory settings until you really learn it. Park 1, noise cancel and go!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am an enthusiastic and well experienced equinox user. I do not leave park one mode

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am an enthusiastic and well experienced equinox user. I do not leave park one mode

+2....except I’m just “fairly experienced”.:laughing7: For the purpose of looking for HIGHLY CONDUCTIVE COINS ON LAND.....Park 1.
Run the machine STABLE. With coil on the ground and MOTIONLESS....it should NOT be making ANY sound unless you’re running an audible threshold. Start with Sensitivity at 20 and adjust from there to get it STABLE.
As stated above...the newer user will be better able to actually decipher what is being conveyed via 5 tone. 50 tone is for a more experienced user.
As stated above...TRUST THE MACHINE.
Run the machine in MULTI frequency when hunting coins on land. This provides for best ACTUAL I.D.
Very shallow coins will provide a “triple signal” as the leading edge, center and trailing edge of the coil pass over the coin. Lift the coil a few inches and re-sweep to find where the target really is. The edges of the coil are “semi hot”...they will also sound off on a shallow/surface target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread