SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Get hold of Black Bart, he’s a really smart bloke Equinox wise....

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I never flew with a metal detector but flew semi frequently with expensive billiard cues. It was suggested that I buy a larger soft sided suitcase and put them in there, with lots of clothes for padding. I did that and it worked perfectly, plus it didn't draw attention from baggage handler thieves like a hard case could. I still own that case.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you break it down and put it in a bag for a carry-on? So that you can store it in the overhead storage.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just disassemble mine and put it in a big suitcase with my clothing and other stuff to pad it. So far, so good.

OP
OP
U

UnitedFly

Greenie
Sep 26, 2017
Cape Coral
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Can you break it down and put it in a bag for a carry-on? So that you can store it in the overhead storage.

My carry-on is gonna be slap full with all of my fly fishing gear unfortunately.

OP
OP
U

UnitedFly

Greenie
Sep 26, 2017
Cape Coral
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just disassemble mine and put it in a big suitcase with my clothing and other stuff to pad it. So far, so good.

This may be the way to go. What kind of scoop do you travel with?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pack it exactly the way I got it in the original box. Then I put it in my hard pack suitcase....it fits exactly into one side of my suit case, and my clothes fit on the other side !! Perfect fit !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The box it comes with is quite small and holds everything very securely with the cardboard inserts for shipping...the hard side suitcase adds the extra protection and has plenty room for clothes and stuff...I check everything and walk on with nothing. The 1 bag is all I need. 20210531_173549.jpg 20210531_173622.jpg

scott565

Apr 20, 2009
Hi United, I have packed detectors on flights quite a few times.
As the Equinox has an internal lithium battery, I believe that technically it is supposed to go with you, not in checked bags.
Also, considering what I have seen happen to some of my luggage, it's probably a good idea to carry it anyhow.
I generally take the coils and control boxes with me, and then carefully pack the shafts and any other tools for checked bags.
Best of luck on your trip!
-Scott

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry my detector with me. Costs too much to leave to airport idiots to steal or wreck.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi United, I have packed detectors on flights quite a few times.
As the Equinox has an internal lithium battery, I believe that technically it is supposed to go with you, not in checked bags.
Also, considering what I have seen happen to some of my luggage, it's probably a good idea to carry it anyhow.
I generally take the coils and control boxes with me, and then carefully pack the shafts and any other tools for checked bags.
Best of luck on your trip!
-Scott

THIS IS CORRECT.

TSA does not even know their own rules with regards to lithium batteries.
I HIGHLY suggest the detector pod and ANY other equipment that has batteries in it when you travel goes in your carry-on.

Jeff Beaumont

Apr 16, 2021
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Apex, Garrett 300. Tesoro Cibola.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you think of sending the sand scoop vis UPS or FedEx? Send it to your hotel and take a return label with you, good luck on your trip

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be the way to go. What kind of scoop do you travel with?

I just use a two part aluminum scoop I got from KellyCo years ago. That's about the only time I use that scoop, as locally I use a Stealth 920ix and carbon fiber shaft. I'm thinking about maybe getting one of the two piece carbon fiber shafts so I can use my Stealth instead.

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
United Fly,

I have flown with my CTX 3030 and Equinox 800 quite a few times to include overseas. I use a hard plastic Plano bow case to carry my detectors - unfortunately I don’t remember the model number. The case is foam padded and includes pieces where you can hold the detector and accessories in place. Recommend going down to your local sporting good store and checking out which case works best for your detector and accessories. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread