AT Pro on the Beach

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read a lot about how the AT Pro does not do very well on the beach and people telling me the Equinox does much better. I went for a day trip to a well known detecting beach and tested my AT Pro on dry sand, wet sand and even in the water. I did take the cover off my coil before doing this. I also had very limited time because of my recovering shoulder and because it's mid summer.
For the most part, after grounding the detector and then taking it down about 2-3 notches afterwards, it worked decently.
Every now and then I would get a solid 80s-90s signal but could not find anything. (detector said 6-8" down)
I did find a Harley Davidson strap clip, and some garbage, but nothing to hype about. This was my very first time on a beach with my detector so it was strictly a test run.
Is it possible that my detector was picking up solid signals much deeper than expected? (Stock 8.5x11 coil attached) Or is it most likely false reading down to the salt water deep in the sand at some points? On one signal, I dug about the length of my arm before stopping. Is it worth looking into the Equinox 600/800 for beach visits?
Overall, not a lot of chatter in my detector, transitioned fairly easy between dry and wet sand after grounding it out. I walked maybe 1/4 mile before my arm started to feel it. and didn't detect back to my spot.
Thanks for the read,
Cheers!

Upvote 0

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
When at the beach are you in pro mode or standard? (concerning false signals) I assume standard, and notching down sensitivity hurts depth so, yes, I think you are getting tricked to dig.

Otherwise, yes, the AT Pro is not going to perform like a multi frequency machine like the Equinox in salt water. The at pro should be fine in dry sand, wet not so much.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Matt, it is a fact that the ATP stinks in wet salt sand, no way around it. No single frequency VLF can efficiently handle wet salt sand, it is a conductor itself. My buddy in MA who is a real ATP ace is loving his Nox 800 as it has opened up efficient beach hunting to him and he does live on an island. There are some people who say they do OK with their ATPs in wet salt, but they have just never tried a PI or multi frequency machine there.

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When at the beach are you in pro mode or standard? (concerning false signals) I assume standard, and notching down sensitivity hurts depth so, yes, I think you are getting tricked to dig.

Otherwise, yes, the AT Pro is not going to perform like a multi frequency machine like the Equinox in salt water. The at pro should be fine in dry sand, wet not so much.

Hi xr7, I had it in Pro mode. I appreciate the input!

Hi Matt, it is a fact that the ATP stinks in wet salt sand, no way around it. No single frequency VLF can efficiently handle wet salt sand, it is a conductor itself. My buddy in MA who is a real ATP ace is loving his Nox 800 as it has opened up efficient beach hunting to him and he does live on an island. There are some people who say they do OK with their ATPs in wet salt, but they have just never tried a PI or multi frequency machine there.

Gunsil, awesome input. I appreciate the way you just explained everything. I guess I see myself moving forward into buying either the 600 or 800 for the beaches! Thank you!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an AT Gold and they are not for the wet at all at the coast, I do fine in the dry sand, Your machine could have been falsing on a build up of black sands in the areas you got those strong 80-90 numbers at. They are not a saltwater machine at all, but they do great in fresh water. I am in the same boat as you, I am thinking of an Equinox but I don't get to the coast enough to justify buying one, so I am looking more towards a vanquish as they are cheaper in price but seem pretty close in all other aspects.

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an AT Gold and they are not for the wet at all at the coast, I do fine in the dry sand, Your machine could have been falsing on a build up of black sands in the areas you got those strong 80-90 numbers at. They are not a saltwater machine at all, but they do great in fresh water. I am in the same boat as you, I am thinking of an Equinox but I don't get to the coast enough to justify buying one, so I am looking more towards a vanquish as they are cheaper in price but seem pretty close in all other aspects.

I don't go to the coast that often either. I will definitely look into the vanquish and look up comparisons. I saw the prices of the Nox 800 and the price is steep considering I may hit the shore 1-4 times a year. I also think about the aspect of possibly selling rings if I find them until I pay myself back for the cost. I appreciate the advice!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I used my Deus today over damp and dry sand set to “Wet Beach” and did excellent.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't go to the coast that often either. I will definitely look into the vanquish and look up comparisons. I saw the prices of the Nox 800 and the price is steep considering I may hit the shore 1-4 times a year. I also think about the aspect of possibly selling rings if I find them until I pay myself back for the cost. I appreciate the advice!

Sell the AT Pro to help fund the Equinox. IMO, the Nox is superior over the AT in all aspects of detecting.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Nox 600 is $300 less than the 800 and Minelab is including free wireless Bluetooth Minelab ML80 headphones with the 600. I don't know how long that promotion will last. I just got one, charged both the detector and phone and will try it at the beach tomorrow. I've hunted beaches with single frequency machines for 40 years and looking forward to now being able to get into the wet sand.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT-Pro on the dry sand? GOOD.

At-Pro in the wet sand/water? It's going to false like crazy.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I used my Deus today over damp and dry sand set to ?Wet Beach? and did excellent.

I put my truck into drive and let off the brake and started moving forward. Now, where's that Einstein quote I wanted to relate to...

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nox 600 is $300 less than the 800 and Minelab is including free wireless Bluetooth Minelab ML80 headphones with the 600. I don't know how long that promotion will last. I just got one, charged both the detector and phone and will try it at the beach tomorrow. I've hunted beaches with single frequency machines for 40 years and looking forward to now being able to get into the wet sand.

Thanks Meg, I have been checking some equipment in the range of the Nox 600 and 800. Apparently, the Minelab Vanquish 540 is a fairly good machine. Almost as good as the 800.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have read a lot about how the AT Pro does not do very well on the beach and people telling me the Equinox does much better. I went for a day trip to a well known detecting beach and tested my AT Pro on dry sand, wet sand and even in the water. I did take the cover off my coil before doing this. I also had very limited time because of my recovering shoulder and because it's mid summer.
For the most part, after grounding the detector and then taking it down about 2-3 notches afterwards, it worked decently.
Every now and then I would get a solid 80s-90s signal but could not find anything. (detector said 6-8" down)
I did find a Harley Davidson strap clip, and some garbage, but nothing to hype about. This was my very first time on a beach with my detector so it was strictly a test run.
Is it possible that my detector was picking up solid signals much deeper than expected? (Stock 8.5x11 coil attached) Or is it most likely false reading down to the salt water deep in the sand at some points? On one signal, I dug about the length of my arm before stopping. Is it worth looking into the Equinox 600/800 for beach visits?
Overall, not a lot of chatter in my detector, transitioned fairly easy between dry and wet sand after grounding it out. I walked maybe 1/4 mile before my arm started to feel it. and didn't detect back to my spot.
Thanks for the read,
Cheers!

Don't blow a lot of money for hunting the wet sand and knee-deep water. Just get a Minelab Vanquish, and hold onto the AT Pro for dirt and dry sand. OR, sell the Pro and get a an Equinox 600. :skullflag:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you plan on getting in the water at all, I wouldn't get the Vanquish. It's not waterproof, so, one accidental drop and it's done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions