Searching for new detector- opinions for specific purpose please

I have an XLT now and I like it a lot- but I'm looking for a detector specifically for farm field hunting, here are my issues:

-I'm looking for a larger coil that covers a lot of ground quickly, but is still sensitive to items that are surface level or just below
-There is a lot of iron- I need something that can pick out the good stuff amongst the iron- cant have items being masked by iron
-Has to work well in extreme cold or heat
-Would like it to be light- capable of hip mount
-Good depth would be nice to have- but not a necessity
-I don't want a target ID machine

please give me your opinions- Thanks!

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
troyhome2.jpg

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
side note Ive been thinking of putting my TROY on a straight shaft similar to the sovereign
you've seen that goofy mod i put on (the handle bar end)
because i dont like the S rod
so perhaps a straight shaft would be a consideration
with(part of the package) or after the fact (after market)
also a DD coil ;)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First one that comes to mind that meets your criteria is the Minelab Sov GT. In disc. mode you can have 0 discrimination which will null on Iron and still report on good targets underneath or along side. It comes with a ten inch DD coil and larger coils are available, like the WOT.

Attachments

• SOV. GT (WinCE).jpg
    SOV. GT (WinCE).jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 256

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
actually MAN OF THE SAND
we are both thinking of a GT ::)
i saw an elite which from what i read is a sov with a switch to cancels out the tone ID
kind of dumb in my opinion but what do i know
if i did get one id get a sov id also get this
67da67c0.jpg
DD 5 X 10 JOEY COIL
and work of that as it is similar to my coil size i use now

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
First one that comes to mind that meets your criteria is the Minelab Sov GT. In disc. mode you can have 0 discrimination which will null on Iron and still report on good targets underneath or along side. It comes with a ten inch DD coil and larger coils are available, like the WOT.

Yep, sandman got it...Sovereign GT. 8)

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
added to the above the T-2 and f-75 have great depth, handle the iron well with there discriminators, and fast recovery speed, and are very light, i had the whites QXT before the T-2, had to switch arms swinning from time to time, i can swing the T-2 all day in the same hand, the reason i bought the T-2 was the heavy iron, works great, my only complant is the coil was not water proof as it is supose to be, planning on sending it in to be replaced, still works great , just had to dry it out

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
gates21,

Yup, I agree with Sandman ,Badger the Minelab Sov GT would be a really good choice. Joe

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Yep.

That Sov GT would be excellent. Maybe the best. Real smooth and awfully deep!

Don't forget the Fisher 1270 though, with it's 10 1/2" coil. In Illinois it would be a killer with SUPER depth. In that soil don't be surprised at how deep the 1270 will go. It air tests at 18" on a nickel and 20" on a quarter and should get half that in the ground.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the input i believe gates is tongue tied ;)
hes overwhelmed with emotion at the outpouring of honest options/knowledge
hes probably shorted out his MAC with the crocodile tears ;D

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
The F75 has a farm field program designed for those conditions. Let me know if you need any more help.
TonyinCT
TC Metal Detectors

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread