Today I found competition...

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
I had to post in the hopes that anyone new to detecting takes note and decides not to be an MD-bag (I?m trademarking that! [emoji16]). I?m spending my time at a park that used to be a farm and I?ve found some good finds there. Today I found competition. Now I didn?t see another MDer there but when I pulled into the parking lot and started to walk in, I did see this on the parking strip.
IMG_0413.jpg

I think we all know only an MDer will find cans full of dirt. I?m not a greedy person and normally wouldn?t care but I will do everything I can to find the goods before he does out of spite for being a lazy yutz who couldn?t take their garbage with them. I will give them props for not throwing them back in the hole and for digging good holes because I couldn?t tell where they had been but still, what an MD-bag...

Upvote 0

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd look for his holes, and recheck them for target missed, and after all, he did you the service of removing the junk. Lol, you can send over to my park. Probably swinging a harbor freight detector.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been at this a long time...seen that many times before
not so much at public spots - usually at a cellar hole or farm field
think they do it #1 cause they are lazy but #2 mainly to show others they been there
i've found many good items these guys have left behind - wish there was a way to let them know
i did meet one guy like 10 yrs ago that would leave a pile of junk at a field every time
he hit there - one time he pulled up and yelled "youre not gonna find nothing here...i been pounding it for a month"
I told him right out "you didnt do a very good job...I got like 12 musketballs, 8 colonial buttons and a couple of coppers!"
He didnt believe me so I showed him...told him he should slow down
I told him not cool leaving junk on edge of the field cause a friend and I had told the farmer we would remove all junk we dug
and he was making us look bad. This guy didnt even have permission - he had seen my friend and I hit here in the past
and figured it was ok for him to hit it...Ive lost more than a few permissions cause of people like this

OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
been at this a long time...seen that many times before
not so much at public spots - usually at a cellar hole or farm field
think they do it #1 cause they are lazy but #2 mainly to show others they been there
i've found many good items these guys have left behind - wish there was a way to let them know
i did meet one guy like 10 yrs ago that would leave a pile of junk at a field every time
he hit there - one time he pulled up and yelled "youre not gonna find nothing here...i been pounding it for a month"
I told him right out "you didnt do a very good job...I got like 12 musketballs, 8 colonial buttons and a couple of coppers!"
He didnt believe me so I showed him...told him he should slow down
I told him not cool leaving junk on edge of the field cause a friend and I had told the farmer we would remove all junk we dug
and he was making us look bad. This guy didnt even have permission - he had seen my friend and I hit here in the past
and figured it was ok for him to hit it...Ive lost more than a few permissions cause of people like this

I would have paid good money to see the look on his face when you showed him those, lol.

I?m thinking he must be cherry picking if that?s all the trash he had (or had cheap detector as Mike suggested). I know I?m mainly preaching to the converted here too but had to vent. [emoji2371]

Last edited:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was playing drums at the park and there was a goofy old guy with a leshe and a harbor freight detector so I decided I'd go encourage him. He obviously didn't enjoy our interaction. I didn't mention that I detect and had detected the same hillside he was working. He was less than friendly and I wish I had spent more time with him since he made no effort to cut plugs or fill his holes. He just scraped the dirt out like a groundhog burrow. It looks so terrible I might go over and fix the holes later. He didn't even pick up the bottle caps that were everywhere. It made me pretty sad since I realized I'm probably a rarity in that i enjoy teaching people but this guy wasn't interested in learning at all. I hope he gets bored and moves on to a hobby hes better at because hes going to get us banned. The good news is he probably didn't find anything worthwhile.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its become a rare day that I don't pick up trash or fill holes left by others.

If these guys fish, they are probably the ones who leave their bait containers and other trash behind.

OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Its become a rare day that I don't pick up trash or fill holes left by others.

If these guys fish, they are probably the ones who leave their bait containers and other trash behind.

Oh man, don?t get me started on that!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people don't see the need to wear a pouch to put the trash in that they find. Others are basically useless and leave debris wherever they go! I always see trash when fishing and can't believe the bozos that strip-off yards of mono from their reels and throw it on the ground. It kills birds that get tangled in it! Don't get me started...

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was playing drums at the park and there was a goofy old guy with a leshe and a harbor freight detector so I decided I'd go encourage him. He obviously didn't enjoy our interaction. I didn't mention that I detect and had detected the same hillside he was working. He was less than friendly and I wish I had spent more time with him since he made no effort to cut plugs or fill his holes. He just scraped the dirt out like a groundhog burrow. It looks so terrible I might go over and fix the holes later. He didn't even pick up the bottle caps that were everywhere. It made me pretty sad since I realized I'm probably a rarity in that i enjoy teaching people but this guy wasn't interested in learning at all. I hope he gets bored and moves on to a hobby hes better at because hes going to get us banned. The good news is he probably didn't find anything worthwhile.

TommyB,
I've been thinking about this post since you made it. Like you, I also enjoy teaching. I discovered that I loved teaching when I had teaching assistantships in grad school, despite faculty advice that devotion to it beyond a minimal token effort sufficient to get paid took valuable time better spent on research. Most recently, I enjoyed teaching a young lady about fossil hunting along the Cliffs. The difference between my experience and your own was that she had expressed interest in going with me several times and jumped at the chance when I offered. Not only was it fun to have someone to talk to and who appreciated my knowledge, but she also had packed a first aid kit that came in VERY handy when I somehow badly gashed my hand, bleeding profusely.

I don't approach strangers carrying digging tools. I will pick up their trash and maybe they will see me do it and adopt the practice. But I won't take a chance that some hostile or disturbed individual might feel threatened to unload his concealed carry weapon on me. Posts here on tnet from those who carry concealed weapons while detecting show the range of opinions about topics like "stand your ground" and willingness to shoot first even among those who seem to enjoy the same hobby that we do. I think we can show a good example without risking hostility and violence with unsolicited, unwanted even, advice - something we often do right here, safely behind our keyboards.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread