Equinox 800 detecting depth

Buck 01

May 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What?s the deepest things you have dug with the 800?
I dug a powder flask at 13 inches a WD-40 can at 12 inches and today I dug a oil filter at 16 inches.
CB1BD31F-A4B0-4BFA-8847-35B6C20121B8.jpeg

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will all depend on the soil. Really big objects like you have are frequently found at those depths with most newer machines. I dug a cannonball once with an ancient Tesoro at over 24".

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've given up on items when I reached 2 feet down.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought for sure the cannon ball was a plow piece. It was a chore getting it out of the ground. It took forever, but Cudamark, as a rule I never go for anything that deep anymore. Too much work.

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I first got my Equinox 800 last year, one of the first things I dug was a .22 projectile at 8 inches down. I was really impressed by the detectors ability to locate such a small target at such a depth and the signal be very strong. Since then, I have dug coins at 10-12 inches. I dont really attempt to dig any deeper nor do I dig larger targets.

Anthony

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought for sure the cannon ball was a plow piece. It was a chore getting it out of the ground. It took forever, but Cudamark, as a rule I never go for anything that deep anymore. Too much work.

These were at the beach, so, just a matter of scooping sand. It's just that once you're down that deep, you know it's going to be a big piece of junk and not a ring or coin. Out in the water, it's just too hard to go any deeper, as the waves and sand keep refilling the hole. On dry land, it would depend on the site and what reading I was getting when deciding to dig deeper or not.....and what digging tool I have with me! :laughing7:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark I noticed the same thing at a salt water beach. The deeper the target the more likely a buried aluminum can.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So much depends on the soil, ground balancing, size of the object, recovery speed, etc. While the EQ can perform pretty well on say, a nickel, per example, there are machines out there that can eat its lunch in terms of depth, the Sov Series being one of those machines. But in these cases you're not really relying on a traditional target return, but rather certain types of disruptions in the threshold. The problem here, of course, is that you could just as easily be chasing a large pull tab at 15-16 inchers, or more....lol

My lakes and typical hunting areas are pretty forgiving soils so I run my EQ 800 mostly in the gold mode with slower recovery speeds so I can also utilize this mode's true threshold which also adds additional inches to my efforts.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I can only speak to saltwater beaches but I've found two shovels all the way to my shoulder in a hole.

johnwon2

Jun 21, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark & Equinox-800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
about 24" on the beach... it was a soda can unfortunately.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two things I can personally speak to, but I’m also STRICTLY a COIN hunter. First thing....compared to the Minelab Explorer2 and CTX which I use heavily, the Equinox to me is a machine that NEEDS you to use headphones. It’s just comparatively much easier to use if the sound is piped directly into the ears, and the audio becomes intelligible. Secondly, around HERE (the magical caveat everyone seems to use to avoid being pinned down to specifics regarding this particular machine) RECOVERY SPEED is more critical to depth than anything, including Sensitivity to some degree. If I’m running Sensitivity at 18 and Recovery at 7, I may very well lower the Recovery to 3 or 4 and find coins that a higher Recovery speed won’t even break threshold on. I learned this very early on. The Recovery speeds on the Equinox 600 seem to be a carryover from the E-series and CTX....Fast ON, no Fast or Deep, and Deep ON. Three speeds. Some people haven’t made that connection yet...the older Minelabs indeed have “Recovery speeds”.
Not to get too far off track...I usually find dimes at 6-8” with the stock coil. It takes cleaner ground and a slower Recovery speed to find anything deeper, when I use it. Again...COINS.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That does take endurance. I hunt CW relics around Atlanta. Most time deep signals are old pieces of farm implements. So it is big iron and deep I guess I will just have to miss the possible civil war pistol or shell. Too old for that kind of deep digging among the plentiful rocks and roots in the hot summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions