Possible MD area for Kansas City Mo MDRs

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Possible MD area for Kansas City Mo MDR's

This may be of interest to the Kansas City Mo MDr’s.
Recently I was driving around town and came upon this historical area in Kansas City Mo.

The 18th & Vine area is rich in music history. Also houses the Black Archives and the Buffalo Soldiers offices.

What caught my attention is the magnificent stone structure on 2033 Vine Street. I performed a search by using the Public Library and found that this building was called the workhouse. Picture # 1 is a copy of the post card.

The old stone workhouse, a castellated design of undressed stone at 2033 Vine Street (one block east of the Paseo), was considered one of the sights of Kansas City in 1907, according to an early Journal-Post newspaper story.

The castle-like building, with a long wing extending east from the building, contained a row of one-story prison cells for those who violated city ordinances. An armed guard sat on a platform on the north side exterior. Administrative offices occupied the front space in the circular turret. The scene was much like that of a medieval castle, without the moat.

From 1872 until 1911 the city workhouse was a cherished institution of political patronage. The management and practices were often severely criticized.

When Mayor T.C. Crittendon Jr. received the 1909 report of the Board of Pardons and Paroles with a list of grievances, including overcrowding, frequent escapes, unclean bedding, vermin, lack of medical attention, poor food, perpetual gambling, prisoners kept in cells in idleness and intoxicating liquors and drugs available to prisoners during confinement, the superintendent and most of the staff resigned or were fired.

George E. Kessler, Kansas City park board designer, called the warden of the federal prison at Leavenworth for advice. More than 100 acres of land southeast of Leeds, with running water, two gas wells, and four oil wells, were purchased for $30,000 for a new workhouse.

Kessler's plan for the Leeds facility made possible activities for the prisoners, such as vegetable gardening, quarrying and stone cutting. Underbrush was cleared, and barracks were built by the men, making possible a permanent move to the Leeds farm June 23, 1911. (Only women prisoners remained in the old workhouse.)

In later years the old building served the city in different ways such as sewer maintenance offices and storage.

Today the sturdy old castle, long unused, and the surrounding area is being considered for use as a museum complex for black history.

Kansas City Times

Next Photo will show what it looks like at the present time. This may be a great place to MD. I am not a metal detectorist, but like to share with those that do enjoy this hobby.

Next photo will show the building across the street. A portion of the building is the Street Department and the other portion is the Water Department.

Next photo is the old building which originally was the KCMO Old Fire House Pumper # 11. It now houses the Black Archives as well as the Buffalo Soldiers offices.

I understand this area is up for development to build new apartments.

Hope all these photos come out ok on the site.

Enjoy
BTR

Attachments

• Workhouse Post Card.jpg
    Workhouse Post Card.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,172
  • Workhouse 1A.JPG
    Workhouse 1A.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 3,668
  • Workhouse 2a.JPG
    Workhouse 2a.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 440
  • Black Archives Buffalo Soldiers.JPG
    Black Archives Buffalo Soldiers.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 260
Upvote 0

lms7652

May 19, 2006
Re: Possible MD area for Kansas City Mo MDR's

Thanks for the info. I live in Missouri and if I ever get up to KC I will have to check it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread