Gainesville, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Bounty Hunter
Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
952B3B9C-F9B5-4079-AA4E-CB207CE898E1.jpeg

I found this button in a yard that the house dates back to the early 1800s. I also found an old skeleton key. Other then that all the coins and things I am finding is from the 1970s. I don?t understand how I find two old items and then nothing but modern things. Anyone have any ideas what might be the reason for this?

Upvote 0

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe its been hunted before?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found this button in a yard that the house dates back to the early 1800s. I also found an old skeleton key. Other then that all the coins and things I am finding is from the 1970s. I don?t understand how I find two old items and then nothing but modern things. Anyone have any ideas what might be the reason for this?

Could well be that construction was done over the years, and
in the process dirt from some areas was relocated. The other
possibility being that soil was added on top of the original dirt,
placing the older items out of reach for the detector.

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins, buttons, and other artifacts are where they are. If the property was occupied for several generations, then you will have old and new mixed together.....and depending on how much was lost or discarded by each of those occupations will dictate what there is to be found from those periods. Add to that what others have said about soil transferance and other detectorists being there, then you can see the many variables that affect each site. Some older sites, even virgin, may have little to give.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread