PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I certainly wasn't expecting this find the last day of July, especially since I have already found 2 this year. (First Handgun link , Second Handgun Link )

I've been working crazy this summer and stopped by the same site as before, for an hour, on my way to a slow Saturday of working on some memorial plaques.

I found a bike frame and a couple of toasted zincolns when I got a signal in the low 80's about 4" down on my AT Max. (Sure to be a nickel.)

Well I see this white handle for what I assume is a kids toy pistol.
For posterity I stopped digging and got a couple of in-situ pictures with my phone.
There was even some of the greeninsh/grey pot metal in the dirt around the grip.
And a plastic bag laying next to it.
9ShotHandgun-Insitu-3.JPG 9ShotHandgun-Insitu-2.JPG

I grab the grip and confirm it is white plastic by looking at the back.
But when i reached into the hole for the rest of the "cap gun" I pulled out a piece that seemed to be a cylinder.
Kind of odd that a kids cap gun would feel that heavy. Hmmm...

9ShotHandgun-Cylinder-2.JPG

When I grabbed the barrel I knew it wasn't a cap gun. No image of the barrel in-situ and I haven't measured the length of the barrel.
(It's funny how the mind changes gears slowwwwly when we've already convinced ourselves about something.)

9ShotHandgun-InSequence-1.JPG 9ShotHandgun-BarrelCylinder-2.JPG
9ShotHandgun-BackHalf-2.JPG 9ShotHandgun-Grip-Frame-2.JPG
9ShotHandgun-Grip-Backside-2.JPG

And this image show the handle grommet/rivet that helped me id the manufacturer, Hi-Standard.

9ShotHandgun-GripGrommet-3.JPG

After some research (once SPhillips had pointed me in the right direction) I found info at the following link that leads me to believe this is a Hi-Standard Model W-106 produced in about 1971.

The manufacturer used aluminum for the W-105 according to the link and started using steel for the frame on the Model W-106 in 1971. (Sears was a customer.)
Most of the info I came across said these were reliable guns and fairly well made for being inexpensive.

The manufacturer (Hi-Standard link) started in 1927(?) in Hamden, Ct. but ceased in 2018.

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed the thread.
PP55

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some one was playing cowboy on the beach !! Very wierd pete....guess some one through all those guns away....I can see mom now.....no more guns in the house !!

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some one was playing cowboy on the beach !! Very wierd pete....guess some one through all those guns away....I can see mom now.....no more guns in the house !!

LOL
Could be Bart. I've found two bike frames and pieces of another. Some of the first info I found on Hi-Standard showed four WAVES in their uniforms pointing them for a WWII poster. Those German spies needed to be careful of the pistol packing momma's here.

Looks like it may be a 1970'ish Hi Standard Double Nine revolver.

value-p-964758.jpg

Thanks for that image Cap. All I could find were wood grain or black.
But I'm guessing most people didn't care for the white since they did resemble a kids cap gun with a white grip.
I guess I need to go back and find the missing piece of the grip.

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find!
The way that thing is all broken up makes it appear that it was intentionally destroyed.
I have seen civil war-era pistols that came out of the ground in one piece, at least.

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find!
The way that thing is all broken up makes it appear that it was intentionally destroyed.
I have seen civil war-era pistols that came out of the ground in one piece, at least.

This was found beachside, about 25' from the face of a dune. Lots of salty humidity.

The first one I found was in the best shape. Each one has been in successively worse shape. At this rate, if there is a next one, it will be only dust!! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread