best detector for discrimation on the salt beach

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owe you a few more anwsers, IMF. First, the hot rocks. I have already talked how some PIs may be set to shade out hot rocks and soft steels such as nails and simmilar. Obviously, this is not the way you would want to look for iron relics. Neither it is the way to search deep large targets, unfortunately. You wold probably want maximum depth from your machine, right? Under such circumstances a large lump of magnetite (or hot rock) is a legite target, it will be reported by the detector, there is no way around that. Yes, you may dig for nothing, you may also dig for nothing if your find turns out to be an old engine radiator or a modern anchor....
Second, would i invest more money or dig? I would definetly not invest more money over a single case - this turns out to be conterproductive - always. Build your hardware carefoully and grow with it. Would i dig - it depends. I will explain more of this later.
Third, if you are looking for a buerried or sunken ship made of steel, the magnetometer or more exactly the magnetic gradiometer is your best friend. You can buy something fency and expencieve or opt for a chip DIY kit where the only thing you will need to do is to connect sensors with provided cable and properly align them. You may find such kits if you google for fluxgate sensors, along with extensive tutorials. You may find usefoul to install the two fluxgate sensors on your boat.

When looking for a big deep target with a PI, first thing you should asses is to find out the signal comes from a deep large target rather than a bunch of small shallow ones. This can be done by using different settings and coils. Somethimes, some small targets should be dug out to properly verify the large and deep one. This is the first information you will get from your PI. Second, you should asses the depth and size of the target. Again, different settings, different coils and in depth knowledge of your machine will be necessary. This is a second information you will get from your PI. The third information you may get from your PI is optional; if you are using something really expencieve or if you have an extra magnetometer with you, you may find out your target is ferrous or non ferrous. This is all you may get from afortable and DIY machines. This is where casual metal detecting and deep seeking differs - you will be forcet to gether the missing info from other (historical) sources. You will not survive long without the proper investigation for every site you decide to research.
You may invert the time line of events, as i offently do, to make it look more casual, by first detect the desired sits and properly map the deep finds (i use GPS, camera, measuring band, ruller and precision #geological" compass to keep the booklet of "finds") and than investigate each one from other sources such as old writeings, maps, witnesess etc. At the end of the day you will be able to dig only a few of them and the better the information gathered, the less chance to dig for nothing.

OP
OP
I

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to thank you Greenboy for all this info ..I think am going to do the following i will go at night and mark the exact spot somehow it be underwater probably a foot or 2 depending on the tide with a P.I. ..then when its the lowest tide of the year theres a few days each year the next one in November ..i go there and dig with my dad we use a VLF and check every few inches my dad told me they work ok a few inches he thinks in this area and dig and check ..Here the UXB with horns is the most dangerous and thats the one my dad fears he really believes one can be there .. once again thank u for your time your the real deal treasure hunter that knows his devices

OP
OP
I

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
Have a new question does any company make a small hand held scuba waterproof VLF or MVLF detector or do i have to have someone make up something ...When i dig a hole i want to check inside the hole i be underwater less then 5 feet ..Must be able to tell large steel object up to 4 inches away ..ML 600 and fullsize detectors are to large must have 5" coil or smaller .. I will dig by hand if required ..my dad thinks it might be possible he told me with 8" coil 5khz he could find large coin 2 inches deep on a wet beach but on this beach underwater he has no idea ..Some member knows the answer any info will help

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nokta Makro PulseDive - Pulse Induction; Depth 200ft.

Attachments

• IMG_4820 (2).jpg
    IMG_4820 (2).jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
I

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry i have a clone pulse dive i want something that will tell me if its steel am looking now

OP
OP
I

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
If my clone pulse dive say target and say my vlf unit says no target because its set to blocks out steel targets i have to dig by hand or quit looking those horns could get broken by a shovel . so far all i find is pin pointers which have only 3" range am guessing from what i seen with my clone P.I. ..My be some company could make a MVLF unit like the pulse dive i will look at all the clones maybe theres one already out there . to me what i see on the videos the targets are only 1"to 4" with the pulse dive and here i figure its going to be worthless because the rings and chains are so thin and small i know soon

OP
OP
I

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
I only found the Nokta makro mini hoard waterproof thats the smallest machine no scuba hand models vlf . is this like the simplex just smaller ??? My dad told me it got to be better then a pinpointer ..i have to look at videos ..Yes this is all junk and probably a waste of time .. but it could save a life and they do sell it on amazon probably . You probably saying my dad is cheap well on this beach they take your gear away and put u in jail if they want to because its near there #1 tourist site

Jeff Beaumont

Apr 16, 2021
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Apex, Garrett 300. Tesoro Cibola.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am very pleased with my Garrett Apex, inexpensive but works well for me. I have 6 or 7 detectors but the Apex does better on the beach for me.

OP
OP
I

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff thanks for the info but i what something smaller ..the mini hoard has a 6" coil and after watching many videos it might be what i need ..What i seen on fake tube it was being used on salt beach if its like its older brother the simplex i want it .. My dad says it looked like the best thing he's seen in detectors in 20 years to me this sounds crazy . My dad said if it only had a 4" coil and multi fqz with optional 10" coil in color black he buy 10 of them . He told me he was going to try his hardest to get the real deal ASP ..The clone might be better but ive haven't seen one yet . China makes the best cellphones and soon the best detectors my dad only likes Fisher and Turkey made devices .the Apex is probably a good machine i wish u all the luck with it Jeff

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very pleased with my Garrett Apex, inexpensive but works well for me. I have 6 or 7 detectors but the Apex does better on the beach for me.

In reality. The Apex can't even come close on a salt beach to a 600 or 800 Equinox.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a GA-52CX survey detector that is a magnetometer. If someone wants to experiment making it waterproof for this purpose I am open to trades. Even for waterlogged OOW Equinox or not working CTX or what have you.

OP
OP
I

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
Midalake i take it u own a 600 or 800 ?? Jeff said he happy on a real beach that he detects on . I hope u realize theres many types of beach all over the world . Did u ever think that maybe minelab tests are rigged like many of fake tube video and info just BS to . i never buy a Garrett device for other reasons but u give no proof . many minelabs had leaking problems , bad shafts , fakes and probably other problems . when someone happy with there device that a big thumbs up from me and i don't care what brand . I know for a fact a 800 won't do any better then a Apex on the beach i go to because both of them aren't P.I. machines and thats from someone who new to detecting .

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to rely on a metal detector to tell you whether you're digging treasure, or, and unexploded bomb, can I take out a BIG life insurance policy on your life? :laughing7:

OP
OP
I

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
Here am told to dig lightly if possible with my hands or Quit . I just discovered another brand of sea mine used here a big boat load of what my dad called them Red coat mines made in England up to 14 pointers . I guess your enemies never gave up first they steal your tanks now this .

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Midalake i take it u own a 600 or 800 ?? Jeff said he happy on a real beach that he detects on . I hope u realize theres many types of beach all over the world . Did u ever think that maybe minelab tests are rigged like many of fake tube video and info just BS to . i never buy a Garrett device for other reasons but u give no proof . many minelabs had leaking problems , bad shafts , fakes and probably other problems . when someone happy with there device that a big thumbs up from me and i don't care what brand . I know for a fact a 800 won't do any better then a Apex on the beach i go to because both of them aren't P.I. machines and thats from someone who new to detecting .

Yes I own 2 Equinox 800's. I came from 20 years of beach hunting with GT Sovereign's. I also have put about 70 hours on an MDT.
Well if it is discrimination you want, then you should be looking at Minelab. The MDT is a very powerful discriminator too and works great in salt water. The MDT works better with moving Salt Water.

The Equinox does have its weak points in construction. But it can be bought up to bullet proof water hunting standards.

Good luck in what you choose. Report back.

OP
OP
I

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
midalake thank u for this info .. I really need a smaller detector even if its a kids detector i guess a 800 could be used with a 6" coil am still looking for a smaller device ..scuba size .. what i see so far 4" coil is all i need but has to discriminate good in salt water on large targets ..For the top side i hope to get a dual field soon .. Thanks and good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread