Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there,

Trying to gear up to make the jump from parks to fields. Trying to do a little research to figure out my shovel requirements. D vs T, length, etc.

Me: 6?1?.

Hunting type anticipated: farmed, cultivated fields but flex to cut into uncultivated or treed areas.

What do I need to think of?

I like the Lesche Sampson t-handle, 31" and under 2 pounds...

SampsonT_Serrated_1.jpg

This type is just under 3 pounds...

GLST-001__02-1024x1024.jpg

Remember, you have to carry this with you in your other hand.

Last edited:

Colt0208

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2021
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I second the Sampson T-handle..... the thing is a beast, and the build quality is top notch....... As far as T vs D, the T handle is easy to stick in a loop on your pack or belt, I'm 6'2" and if I stick the handle in a loop on my belt, it doesn't touch the ground as i'm detecting...... And there's plenty of leverage with the T handle

Last edited:

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one of the second picture, works fairly good, I want to get the one in the first picture. I think the D vs. T is just personal preference.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After getting tennis elbow in my left forearm (I am right handed), I carry the shovel by the middle of the shaft, not by the handle. Seems to hurt less until I finally get over the tennis elbow...

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have the 31" T handle Lesche. It really is as good as these guys say, but I wish it was about 4 inches longer though. I'm 6'2"

If I had to do it over I'd get the Barracuda, Ranger, or more likely the Piranha all made by Predator Tools.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having a bit of arthritis in my hands, I find a D handle is more comfortable to use.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
T vs. D? What about O?

To do it over, I'd probably go with a "T". Length is good, though (I'm 6'2" and this is 37-1/2" overall). Predator Dixie Model 58 - I believe discontinued.

attachment.php

Attachments

• HPIM0593.jpg
    HPIM0593.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 136

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one of those but I took a grinder, and sharpened the "teeth" cuts the ground pretty good

OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Thanks guys. Sorry for the delayed reply. Trying to clear my desk for vacation time. I?ll pour over the replies (particularly those in my height range). Appreciate you sharing your experiences.

Dig

Jeff Beaumont

Apr 16, 2021
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Apex, Garrett 300. Tesoro Cibola.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a "Lesche" shark, they make it in 40" or 36", I have had my Lesche for at least 20 years and I love it. Both of these are available at "Kellyco"

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I have a "Lesche" shark, they make it in 40" or 36", I have had my Lesche for at least 20 years and I love it. Both of these are available at "Kellyco"

The Ground Sharks blade radius is too tight, so you can't cut a nice neat hole more than 5 inches round. I owned two, still have one, never sees ground with it though. They are also heavy in comparison. I never hunt fields and woods though where you can chop out a wider hole with multiple pokes. I'm in the public eye mostly. A neat-left hole is a best left hole.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread