Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

As time goes on, my clad jug gets heavier and heavier. Somewhere I read putting them through a rock tumbler gets most of the crud off and good enough to get back into circulation. In their present state I doubt half my clad would go through a coin machine, so I just want to get them good enough to do that. Is a rock tumbler the easiest way? I saw one on Amazon for $100 just haven't pulled the trigger on it... any thoughts?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get one at harbor freight cheaper and yeah they work good just separate pennies from all the other clad or everything will come out a pink color.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this video on YouTube and it really works. This is what I do and they come out great.

Scott

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
How much is his cost of soap and he only cleaned about 3 bucks worth of change.
I fill the barrel with just coins up to half to 2/3rds full. Use pure lemon juice and fill up to the level of coins. Then add a 2 or 3 teaspoons of salt. No gravel at all. Tumble for about an hour. They do have a dull look to them but then you can use gravel to polish them, as desired.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what I use. Water and a dash of Lemi-Shine and Dawn detergent. I have used Aquarium gravel as the media because I don't care if I polish away details.

Ain't no amount of cleaning puts the zinc back in Zincoln Cents. :-( The oatmeal cookie of pocket change.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this video on YouTube and it really works. This is what I do and they come out great.

Scott

IMO, the cost is too high to do it this way if you're just going to deposit coins in a CoinStar. I use a MUCH bigger dual drum rock tumbler, with aquarium gravel, powdered laundry soap, and some cheap white vinegar I get in a 2 gallon pack at Costco. Beach coins usually take a lot longer to tumble clean than turf coins, sometimes hours longer. Sometimes zinc cents won't ever clean up before they crumble apart.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's best to roll your nickels and larger currency coins and deposit them at your bank. I only use the coinstar for the pennies. I make sure to put the shiny coins on the outside of the stacks and the darker coins in the center of the rolls.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Putting in tied off sock in washing machine works too.

Jeff Beaumont

Apr 16, 2021
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Apex, Garrett 300. Tesoro Cibola.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A rock tumbler is the way to go, $100.00 is too much to pay. I buy my supplies from "Magic Tumble Clean" they are great folks to do business with. I think "Harbor Freight" sells a tumbler.

Blewfur

Jan 12, 2021
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Nokta Makro Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get one at harbor freight cheaper and yeah they work good just separate pennies from all the other clad or everything will come out a pink color.

Speaking of that pink coloring, does anyone know how to clean that up? I had a penny stuck in with my other clad. Thought I separated them all, but one snuck thru.

OP
OP
R

RussM

Oct 2, 2019
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody, lots of great ideas! Much appreciated!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread