Detecting OBX beaches.

WaveJunky757

Jan 31, 2018
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking to chat with anyone that consistently hits OBX beaches. I have a house in Corolla (on the 4x4 access) and looking to get into some winter time hunting. I?ve heard stories of coins turning up from several different nationalities as well as some Indian artifacts. Feel free to PM me. Also looking for a detector under 500 that would suit this task.

Upvote 0

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a condo on the beach in Duck. I detect off season when it?s not rented. I?ve only detected the 4wd area north of Carolla once. Found a bunch of big cal WW2 casings. I have heard of some old shipwreck coins and relics washing up after storms, but not consistent like the Treasure Coast of Florida, but you never know. You may want to look at a Minelab Vanquish. Should do well in the dry and wet sand. Good luck!

cathexis

Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FWIW,
There is a map of Mid-Atlantic historic shipwrecks that is for sale at touristy shops from Delaware down to Charleston. Don't have a link to it, but its out there. I've only been to the beach site of the Faithful Steward, 1765 wreck at "Coin Beach", Del. (found only a modern fake some funny guy threw out there). The point is that that wreck site is correct on that map. So you could try hunting that up and checking against your chosen beaches. Once you've ID'd some then next stop is the local library for local history and old local newspaper articles that might yield clues. Tidal charts are fairly specific and can help you to plan for low-tide, post-storm hunting, for example. I'm a big believer in doing your own leg-work to get the best leads. Other dectorists may get cagey about their "honey-holes," but usually their sources were public somewhere. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WaveJunky757

Jan 31, 2018
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CATHEXIS , thanks for the reply’s. I’ve heard of some colonial coins and relics as well. There is a video on YouTube of a couple guys digging up some stuff on the 4x4 area. No reefs, soft bottom so I’d imagine most anything would be salvaged easily, except for some relics possibly “left behind”. I’d imagine there had to be some sort of Indians around maybe at one time. Good idea on local libraries, I believe there is one right in Corolla.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions