Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys I?ll try to make this short what you may not know is I?ve only found 3 Large Cents and they all happened within the year I found one where I found the early 18th Century 8 pound French cannonball which I couldn?t get a date then I went on a site that was just outside the French
Quarter and before I got kicked out I found two large cents. Well having electricity and like I said being bored the phase of finding these large sense that I?ve been wanting to fine for my six years of the 6 Years of Detecting I went into my obsession of needing to see a date all three of them were practically unnoticeable in every aspect so I did a little electrical system on it and I?m glad to get an idea of my dates. I don?t know what about the obsession with me Wanting a date that?s so far I?ve only ruined one coin and I?ve had remarkable outcomes on electrologist I don?t recommend it I?ve just gotten lucky and I was bored like I said with electricity IMG_3193.jpg
IMG_3192.jpg
IMG_3191.jpg
IMG_3190.jpg
IMG_3189.jpg
IMG_3188.jpg
image-2021-05-15-21:34:01-523.jpg
image-2021-05-15-21:33:34-449.jpg
IMG_1573.jpg
IMG_1573.jpg
IMG_1572.jpg
image-2021-02-11-13:37:52-593.jpg
IMG_1452.jpg
Let me know what you see They were so toasted that I only got one picture of one of the Elsie?s how it came out the ground. Also let me know what you think

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Truth,I think they,re cool.Other than that I don,t have enough knowledge to comment.:icon_thumright:

I guess what I was trying to say is I?m doing things they told me not to do and so far it worked out to where I can quit obsessing over what year it is. Electrologist also worked on that US button and then Nickel I didn?t even know what it was. Just throwing it out there

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electrolysis is non discriminatory. It will eat the metal away from all areas. Forever. I don't do it.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Electrolysis is non discriminatory. It will eat the metal away from all areas. Forever. I don't do it.

I don?t blame you I?ve always been the one to stick my hand in the fire knowing that I?ll probably get burnt hopefully later than sooner. But I guess it?s that instant gratification of knowing the date which I can compare alcohol drugs and gambling.
? i?ve always been a gambler not good but it was always high stakes

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's an interesting subject on what to do regarding a toasted greenie.
Electrolysis, tumbling, HP, buffing, apple cider vinegar, molasses, pencils.
The value of any of the greenness is minimal at best.
So for a personal satisfaction of knowing what it lies under the crud is warranted.
I've seen some pretty cool finished results from every method mentioned.
One doesn't really know unless they try.
Kind of the school of hard knocks theory.:headbang:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's an interesting subject on what to do regarding a toasted greenie.
Electrolysis, tumbling, HP, buffing, apple cider vinegar, molasses, pencils.
The value of any of the greenness is minimal at best.
So for a personal satisfaction of knowing what it lies under the crud is warranted.
I've seen some pretty cool finished results from every method mentioned.
One doesn't really know unless they try.
Kind of the school of hard knocks theory.:headbang:

My dad used to tell me you graduated from the school of hard knocks and you were the knucklehead valedictorian

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand trying to find the date. Of the 4 largies I have found I think 2 had dates. They were so slick when I found them figured it wouldn't hurt to try some lemon juice. I did 10 minutes at a time and thats all it needed. Goodbye green patina but more details came out after it was gone.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand trying to find the date. Of the 4 largies I have found I think 2 had dates. They were so slick when I found them figured it wouldn't hurt to try some lemon juice. I did 10 minutes at a time and thats all it needed. Goodbye green patina but more details came out after it was gone.

Yeah once my just joy of finding Large Cents it was mine blowing I almost thought that we didn?t have large cents in the south or at least in Louisiana I know we had a lot of Spanish silver but for the life of me I cannot get a Large Cent and then once the excitement wore off I don?t know they were either these brown things or I could try Today to get the date off of it just like that US button it came out beautiful and they say it would be crazy to do electrolysis on it I didn?t know what kind of Nickel that was until I did Electrolytes is on it for 10 minutes and I got that beautiful 5 So I?m ahead of the game there?s only one time it was my shield nickel with raise and I had to find out what the date was which now is stupid because it can only be I think three different dates at the most I was green but that was the only one I regret

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think cleaning finds should be up to the finder. Some things might be damaged enough to matter when cleaned if you are the kind that sells your finds. Coins that are so environmentally damaged that there is no real value to them anymore just don't count much. If a coin is so far gone you can't even tell what king was ruling, I don't think doing anything to it would matter but now you have dates and details that let you ID it. My opinion is you did good on that one and you have more than just another copper disc...

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think cleaning finds should be up to the finder. Some things might be damaged enough to matter when cleaned if you are the kind that sells your finds. Coins that are so environmentally damaged that there is no real value to them anymore just don't count much. If a coin is so far gone you can't even tell what king was ruling, I don't think doing anything to it would matter but now you have dates and details that let you ID it. My opinion is you did good on that one and you have more than just another copper disc...

Plus it?s exciting I guess I?m the metal detectorist that likes living on the edge lol

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like right now I had to smooth disks I soak them in lemon juice last night just for the hell of it now I?m excited to see if any little thing showed up. And when I say smooth as glass they are smooth as glass hello ones the size of a nickel that one?s a little big no idea what they are but I woke up today with a little excitement inter air

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread