Best Detector to Start Out

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I finally decided to purchase a metal detector, but know very little or should I say nothing about them. My son has a garrett that he purchased for a little under $300.00 and he says it works fine for him. He said its light weight, and simple to use, but he also said to check out the whites as they are one of the best brands. I want to keep my purchase under $500.00 Does anyone recommend a certain model that would be good for a beginner and under 5 hundred? I think whites had a prizm V with 50 off going at $499.00 is this something that I should be looking at? Also would you go lower model in a new one or look for higher end model in a used one? Are most coils waterproof? My son says he can use his in water as long as he doesn't get the box wet. I was wondering if thats true with most.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Best dectector to Start Out

for a little more, Can't go wrong with a Whites XLT or DFX
A Great starter that will Work for the Expierenced detectorist also.

It will Grow with you.

And the Weight won't kill you.

Willy

You'll get the best deal buying used. I'd go for an MXT/M6 before springing for a DFX/XLT; they're much easier to start off with and get terrific performance without having to tweak the detector. Garrett also has a really nice detector in the GTP 1350. Also, Fisher has the new F4 (cw 3 coils, extra control rod for $445 or so) that has been getting rave reviews. ..Willy.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i AGREE WITH WILLY,the WHITES mxt or M-6 WOULD BE GOOD, THE FISHER F4 ALSO WITH EXTRA COILs FOR $425, SOUNDS TO BE A GOOD DEAL

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
If the only option is Whites, go with a used MXT if you can find a nice mint machine.

I personally think the MXT is Whites best coin machine.

Badger

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Used Minelab Explorer XS for $500 or under is possible. I think alot of people may say it's hard to learn, but that is not the case in my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions