Cleaning coins with a tumbler

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Minelab Explorer II
To all who have cleaned clad with a tumbler,
I just got a tumbler to clean the couple hundred bucks of clad I found this year. What do all of you use in your tumbler, besides water, to aid in the cleaning process? How long do you allow the coins to tumble? Do you use different cleaning agents for different coins? Also any other tips about tumbling coins would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Turtleman

Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a tumbler but I would use regular sand...
you can buy pellets that are made for cleaning brass....
But why would you if sand will do the same and you can steal some from
your kids playground....

BJ in Okla.

Feb 26, 2004
Central OK.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ's
Turtleman,
This worked for me.
Don't mix coins.
Do zinks and copper together.
Dimes and quarters together.
I ran mine for about 4 to 8 hrs.
I used a small amount of Aquarium gravel.
1. tea spoon of Dawn soap.
1. tea spoon of Lemon juice.
add a little water, just to cover the coins.

One way to clean Nickels is to use 2 oz of white Vingar and 1 tea spoon of salt, check about ever 15 Min's. to see how they ear doing, I have used this with old V nickels that were in bad shape. Also used this on Buffs.
Hope this helps...
BJ in Okla.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
BJ in Okla. got it right.

But after the cleaning dry them and get rid of them.

I've done a pile and a month later the coins looked worse than before cleaning.

Badger

999slvrfx

Nov 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/sunray probe,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use coarse sand or a fine gravel in mine.
Don't put pennies and clad together, it will turn
your clad a funky color. I usually run mine for a
couple of hours or until clean.

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
I bought a $3 bag of white aquarium rock at WallyWorld. I've tried it with & without dishsoap, didn't notice a difference. Also, change the water every so often, check it & you'll see how dirty it gets.

Smitty

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Turtleman said:
To all who have cleaned clad with a tumbler,
I just got a tumbler to clean the couple hundred bucks of clad I found this year. What do all of you use in your tumbler, besides water, to aid in the cleaning process? How long do you allow the coins to tumble? Do you use different cleaning agents for different coins? Also any other tips about tumbling coins would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Turtleman
It surprised me to see in the replies, so far, that no one mentioned that special white powder that is sold by Finch and it comes with pellets. I cleaned thousands of coins with that powder/pellets, rolled them and took them to the bank. I used to know metal detector dealer couple in The San Fernando Valley that used to use the liquid used by blueprint machines but you have to wear a mask when spilling it out as the fumes are potent.

For me, though, Finch did the job.

DaveNEPhila

Jul 12, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Another thing to consider is the type of tumbler rotary or vibratory. Vibratory are
usually used for polishing rings. I've been to a couple jewelry/gem shows and have seen powders for metal polishing.
The differences between the tumblers in processing stones is that the rotary will round the stones removing edges and the vibratory leaves stones with some of the edges.

I'd suggest taking a couple of the coins you'd like to clean with you to a gem show you'll find several jewelry makers and some might be willing to give some free advice.

Dave from NE Philadelphia, PA

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a dual cyclinder tumbler at Harborfreight on sale for $29.00.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90979

Like IndianaSmith, I just use white aquarium gravel from Walmart. Running it a couple hours gets them more then clean enough to cash them in if you want. Always seperate the pennies from the rest of the coins unless you want them a rusty color....

I just keep adding my clad coins to a 2.5 gallon plastic jug (pickle egg jar). I roll them ever so often, but put the rolls back in the jar. Maybe I will save enough up to buy a new truck when I retire..... ;)

If it wasn't for Bernie Ebbers, I would be retired now...... >:( Hope he is enjoying that cellmate !!!!!!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Over the summer, I bought a single drum tumbler from Harbor Freight for about $19. Here is the recipe that I use.

Aquarium gravel (found at local pet store)
Fine sand (found at local craft store)
Tap water
A few drops of liquid dish soap
A splash of ammonia.

I initially tumble for approximatley 30 mins. and then I check them. Most of the time they come out great. If they are still cruddy, they go back in for another 30+ mins.

Hope it helps.

srd1941

Greenie
Jan 3, 2007
Central WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Ron & Treasure Hunter
How are your Harbor Freight Tumblers holding up? Have you had any problems and if so what? I'm in the market for a tumbler and really don't want to spend a hundred bucks for a Thumbler.
Stan

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far mine has had no problems...............

srd1941

Greenie
Jan 3, 2007
Central WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Treasure Hunter
Thanks for the reply. Why did you choose the double drum over the single drum tumbler? Doesn't it put more stress on the motor or does it have a bigger motor?
Thanks
Stan

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One bin is for pennies, other one is for the rest of the clad coins.

I have yet to have a problem with it, but I dont run it till I have a full load of one so it is not like it is running every day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions