LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
... at least the coil.

Total newb at this, live in North East Florida within walking distance to a number of really good spots.
Looking to try it out. Some of the more choice spots I know of would involve immersing the coil under water- also, if the "body" (sorry, I'm not hip on all the terminology) could withstand water, that would be a plus.

I couldn't care less about super high performance, brand names, or the like.
I need a very basic, functional beginners detector at as low a price point as I can find.

I see a lot of "underwater metal detectors" advertised on ebay for $200 or less, which is about my price range, however, if they are total nonfunctional junk, I'd rather pass on them.
With that said, if they are functional but just not as "cool" as some of the more expensive big brands, that's OK by me.

Any guidance from you x-perts would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident
most metal detector coils are water proof thats the part at the end.underwater mach. are one where the whole mach. is submersible are somewhat pricey.

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
yes the $200 underwater machines are JUNK, I have never owned 1 but have read 100 of complaints about them so steer clear of these, stay with a name brand, you do get what you pay for.Good underwater machines start around 600.00 .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not an x-pert, just a newbie with 18 months experience hunting water and still learning from the real experts found at TN.

You have to also be very careful with one where only the coil is waterproof and controls are not waterproof, set it down wrong after you have had the coil in the water to dig or hold coil up higher then controls for a couple seconds and water will travel down the shaft and into the controls. Zap, you got a big paper weight.

You can also get hit by a small rouge wave when you not looking at ocean side and down you go, or step into a small hole and trip, both will ruin the detector if it hits the water. Ask any of us who hunt the oceans, I have be hit by rouge waves higher then normal waves several times, while trying to recover a target, as well as stepped in holes. If your detector isn't waterproof you again will have a paperweight.

You can look and occasionally find a good buy on a good used water unit on EBay or better yet on one of the "for sale" boards, but your going to have to pay at lest $350 or more for one, depending on the model.

Being new to the hobby, unless you enjoy digging deep holes I would also stay away from PI machines (Pulse Induction) as you are going to be digging every bobby pin and piece of iron that has been lost where your at. You will just get discouraged and quit the hobby.

My advice, if you want to truly hunt the water is bite the bullet and get one that is completely waterproof. Save a little more $ up, or use a credit card and use the money you have saved as the first payment on the detector.

tac512ltd

Aug 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark; Aquavision 2007
This is just the opinion of another new guy. My first detector was an Aquavision 2007. It is an underwater machine. I got it as I was new to the hobby and just wanted to try it out. I won it on ebay for $146. I have used it in parks, dry sand, wet sand, and underwater for several months now. It still works fine, no problems.
I have upgraded, recently, to a Tesoro Tiger Shark, as I am enjoying the hobby. I have not learned the Tesoro well enough yet to comment on the differences; however, if you're just starting out and don't want to, or can't spend big bucks I KNOW that the cheap Aquavision works and continues to do so for me.
Good Luck with any detector you choose. Again, this is just from another new guy's perspective.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread