Pinpointer Probes....Are they all the same?

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Im looking to purchase a pinpoint probe for my son for a xmas gift. So far Ive seen a whites bullseye 2 going in the range of 100.00 to 119.00..also bounty hunter has one for around 50.00. I noticed quite a price difference. Does garrett make a probe? Can anyone recommend a brand or model. I see the whites have different models one has 120mm on it the other has 140mm what do these numbers mean?

Upvote 0

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
No they are not the same, as should be obvious with pretty much just about anything out there... You get what you pay for..

Go get the radio shack special 70 dollar metal detector because it's cheaper.. yep, it's the same as a whites or minelab...

Aaron

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Ascholten said:
No they are not the same, as should be obvious with pretty much just about anything out there... You get what you pay for..

Go get the radio shack special 70 dollar metal detector because it's cheaper.. yep, it's the same as a whites or minelab...

Aaron
..I see you use a whites not a Radio Shack Junk.........Minelab does not make a probe.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the ..Viba Probe 570 ...is about the best out there .Now that is my thoughts i had a lot of trouble with my Whites bullseye.................==Jim==

999slvrfx

Nov 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/sunray probe,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Bullseye II, a Teknetics/Bounty Hunter, a Vibra Probe 560 and a Sunray DX-1.
The Sunray is the best, but the most expensive.
The Bullseye and Vibra Probe to me are about the same, but I prefer the Bullseye.
The BH is the least expensive to buy, but not as sensitive in my opinion.
Vibra Probe is built like a tank to take the abuse,but to me is more bulky to carry.
They are all good pinpointers, it just boils down to how much you are going to use
them and how much you want to spend.

BobPA

Feb 18, 2007
Williamsport, Home of Little League Baseball
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
roachnjim said:
Ascholten said:

Aaron
..I see you use a whites not a Radio Shack Junk.........Minelab does not make a probe.

If minelab makes one tell me about it. Until then, I'll stick with my vibraprobe.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Take a look at the Detector Pro Pocket Uni-Probe. it is superior to all of the above, cost more but it will detect to 6 inches

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
erikk said:
Take a look at the Detector Pro Pocket Uni-Probe. it is superior to all of the above, cost more but it will detect to 6 inches
I was going to get a Detector Pro Uni-Probe...but after reading all the bad posts in Other Brands about DetectorPro head hunters i changed my mind............Jim==

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
roachnjim said:
erikk said:
I was going to get a Detector Pro Uni-Probe...but after reading all the bad posts in Other Brands about DetectorPro head hunters i changed my mind............Jim==

Well I have Sun Rays on both my EX2's and then I got a Fisher F-75. At the time Sun Ray did not make a probe for it so I got the Pocket Uni. All the others would drive the F-75 nuts. I have been using the Uni for about 6 months and it is great. Since it doesn't have to be machine mounted makes things much lighter and will detect a coin down to 6 inches

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the sunray the best- BI for its compactness and the 560 for being waterproof

HH
-GC

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
A pinpointing probe that will detect up to 6 inches. While nice in itself but wow, if you missed your mark by 6 inches you better learn how to pinpoint better there bub or yer gonna nick a good coin one of these days. Trust me on this one, you turn an $80 dollar penny into a one penny... penny... you will be pissed for a long long time >:(

I have one but never use it really, just another extra pita to have to contend with I say. I can pinpoint well enough with my XLT that I don't need a probe. The only time a probe would come in handy Id think is when Im dowsing and the coin is deeper than the metal detector can detect. Then again if I am digging a 3 foot hole it's pretty wide, it has to be to get that deep with the walls falling in on sand etc etc... given that, just put the MD down in the hole and run the edges... or your pendulum if you want....

Aaron

aladdin

Mar 1, 2007
Stay away from The Bounty Hunter Pin Pointer /cheaply made and is not worth the investment . I bought one as a back up to my Vibaprobe . By the way I saw a Fisher Pin Pointer(same as the Bounty Hunter) go for 30.00 on another web site. The Vibaprobe is durable and works for me. Less is not always Best. Invest wisely. A good pin pointer is hard to beat!!!

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
Ascholten said:
A pinpointing probe that will detect up to 6 inches. While nice in itself but wow, if you missed your mark by 6 inches you better learn how to pinpoint better there bub or yer gonna nick a good coin one of these days. Trust me on this one, you turn an $80 dollar penny into a one penny... penny... you will be pissed for a long long time >:(

I have one but never use it really, just another extra pita to have to contend with I say. I can pinpoint well enough with my XLT that I don't need a probe. The only time a probe would come in handy Id think is when Im dowsing and the coin is deeper than the metal detector can detect. Then again if I am digging a 3 foot hole it's pretty wide, it has to be to get that deep with the walls falling in on sand etc etc... given that, just put the MD down in the hole and run the edges... or your pendulum if you want....

Here is a news flash-after 45 years of detecting I have learned how to pinpoint. I also use detectors/coils that will detect a coin over 12 inches. When I cut a plug on a deep coin (say 5-6 inch plug) the pinpointer will give me a good estimate how much deeper I need to go to recover the coin. . With a Vibra-Probe for example you need to be almost on top of the coin for it to react and other pinpointers within an inch or so but I guess if I was using an XLT I wouldn't need a probe either as it doesn't go deep enough to need one ;D

Aaron

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gottit said:
Stay away from The Bounty Hunter Pin Pointer /cheaply made and is not worth the investment . I bought one as a back up to my Vibaprobe . By the way I saw a Fisher Pin Pointer(same as the Bounty Hunter) go for 30.00 on another web site. The Vibaprobe is durable and works for me. Less is not always Best. Invest wisely. A good pin pointer is hard to beat!!!
I like my F-point and like it so much I now have 2.. As far as cheap, I have wore the tips off mine by sticking it into the ground when my detector indicates 5" and under without digging a hole!! First Texas replaced the body with no problems and returned it in a week.. I now coat the tip with epoxy and when it wears through I put another coat on.. detect about 1/2" from sides and tip which makes it much easier to locate the find.. Wondering if you can push the vibraprobe into the ground like that.. I have been looking at them because they are waterproof which most pinpointers are not.. That is great!! Whatever one you get you will wonder how you've got along with out it..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good pinpointer helps you recover the target faster and leaves more time for more targets..... ;)

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Any good detector should be able to be tweaked to detect a coin at 12 inches. The XLT is capable of doing that as well, I know the minelab is, as several others. Then again, any good detectorist should be able to pinpoint the coin and know about how deep it is without needing extra tools. If one just listens for the beep and starts excavating without fully using their machine to it's potential then yah, might want a pinpointer to use up even more time doing what you should have been doing when you were still vertical on the original sweep. Oh wait, if you been detecting for 45 years then I doubt you know what vertical means anymore, yer probably hunchbacked and getting decrepit....

oops I almost forgot to add
;D ;D ;D

Aaron

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
Ascholten said:
Any good detector should be able to be tweaked to detect a coin at 12 inches. The XLT is capable of doing that as well, I know the minelab is, as several others. Then again, any good detectorist should be able to pinpoint the coin and know about how deep it is without needing extra tools. If one just listens for the beep and starts excavating without fully using their machine to it's potential then yah, might want a pinpointer to use up even more time doing what you should have been doing when you were still vertical on the original sweep. Oh wait, if you been detecting for 45 years then I doubt you know what vertical means anymore, yer probably hunchbacked and getting decrepit....

oops I almost forgot to add
;D ;D ;D
Ever notice that when a person is confronted with facts that they are clueless about... they resort to name calling. Only an idiot would make that kind of a statement not knowing the person they are speaking about and I have probably forgotten more about detecting than you will ever know The only coin your XLT might detect with a standard coil @ 12 inches is a silver dollar and there aren't many of them left to find;D ;D ;D ;D

Aaron

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i have had a few automax pinpointers.while they work well, they are too big and too flimsey. i wouldnt recommend them at the price they go for.

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Here is an awesome pinpointer, and it's under $50. (unless you go with the ultraluxe). Can't beat this deal. In a non scientific test, mine came in second to only one of those $100+ ones.

http://tinytec-probes.com/

And talk about service after the sale. Fred really stands behind his product.

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
The bounty hunter and Fisher Fpoint are the same thing. Not very deep but it gets the job done for little money. We are talking about pinpointing when the target is out of the ground most of the time anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread