Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I just bought the Bigfoot coil for my White's XLT. I took it out hunting yesterday and did OK -- I found a nice silver ring among other items -- but I'm still nowhere near comfortable using it yet. So for anyone who has experience in using one of these, I had some questions:

1) Do you like it, or not? If so, why?

2) Are there any specific adjustments you need to make to your programs to compensate for the coil? Are there any VDI issues? Yesterday I randomly dug a clad quarter that rang as iron. When I swept over it again later it barely picked it up. A quarter! Why would that happen?

3) Any pinpointing tips? I found it kinda tricky.

4) Anything else I need to know?

Thanks and happy holidays!
Bman

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bman, I haven't used the Bigfoot coil on a Whites, but have used the Clean Sweep Coil on Tesoro's. They are the same coil really. I don't know about the VDI numbers as I never use a screen as it isn't needed for me.

Pinpointing is a snap though. Once you get a beep, pull back on the coil till the signal is gone. Then while slowly moving it back and forth a little, move the coil forward. When you hear the beep again the target is just off the tip of the coil. No need to X the target. Try in with a coin on top of the ground.

Sometimes you need to adjust the sensitivity up or down a bit. The coil is only about 7 inches deep, but covers a lot of ground quickly and shines at a dry sand beach.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Back when I was swinging Whites (spectrum, eagle, xlt, etc...) I tried the bigfoot coil for awhile, thinking I'd get more coverage on the beach. But I found that, despite claims to the contrary, there IS loss of depth, when compared to the 950 coil, for instance. Also, despite claims that the depth is equal all the way across the length, I found that there were weak spots at various points along the length. Do an air test up and down the length, and I believe you'll see that some points don't detect as deep as others.

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info!

I did an air test last night and confirmed what I'd feared: It seems to have trouble with quarters. Can you believe that? I checked my disc. settings and stuff and there's just no explanation for it. Don't know what to meddle around with next...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread