Where to find old coins!!!!

F

free2Dtect

I talked (P M) someone last night and mentioned starting this thread. Purpose is to let viewers see what types of sites older coins are being found in. Not to give out exact locations! This should help others find older and more valueable coins. I wish to see people post new finds in todays finds section thru out the coming summer. After all we will never get it all, so we might as will share the wealth.
My favorite two sidewalk tearups and house demo sites.

Upvote 0

lets_go

Dec 29, 2004
Wyandotte, Michigan
Re: Where to old coins!!!!

Being in southeast Michigan you would think that there is all kinds of posibilties. 1. Detroit was founded in 1701 2. The war of 1812 was fought in my neck of the woods. 3. There was a population of indians in my City and it was est. in 1863. Did you know in my little City, the first American was killed in the war of 1812, even have a plaque at the site he was killed. Given all these I can't imagine why I'm not hearing alot about any finds either relics or coin. I know I haven't found any yet.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Well I guess Minelab 3 out of 5 ain't bad.(You had to include common sense)

My contribution would be to go back to the parks that have yielded good old coins in the past. They have been "hunted out". Then go to the trashier portion of the park and remove all iron, ect trash that you can dig. REMOVE ALL TRASH in a limited area. Then go back and detect all the coins which have been masked by junk which a hundred other detectorists have missed.

George

N

nutso

I agree, the library is a great place to spend your off-season time. Alot can be found at online library photo archives too.
Another tip: At old home sites ck where you see remnants of an old garden, such as perennials sprouting up somewhere. Or maybe your driving the countryside and you see them bloomed somewhere. Stop and take a look around, get the name off the posted signs and contact the owner. Chances are they won't mind if you go in there. Posted signs in my area are to keep hunters and off road vehicles out(for the most part) I found my oldest coin near some lilly's at a ghost town, a 1820 large cent. Found a few 1860's coins in a clover field where I had seen that there was an old structure there at one time. I found 1900 maps on the internet, then compared them to recent maps, looking for long gone houses. Stopped at the farm and the owner was very friendly. Not all old home sites will be productive. My grandfathers farm circa 1910 has produced not one single silver coin in my 3 years of detecting, but I have recovered some interesting items. I think he saved his coinage and spent it on booze. Patience is always rewarded!

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
minelab1000 made a very good point, think of where other people would want to detect and hunt the other spots at that location, EXAMPLE I recently went to a local school that has been around since the 20's and have seen other guys detecting it, I got the Idea to hunt along the fence line where the play ground is (grown up with weeds, small trees and lots of trash) in some spots I had to clear the high grass, debris such as limbs, weeds etc just to get my coil close but in about a half an hour I pulled out 3 dimes, newer quarter and 1950 D quarter in really good shape. People can be lazy, it is to easy to just swing your detector in an open clean area, try some of those harder to detect at places at any give location, if you have to move some trash or debris, it will pay off

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent a couple of days last week working a section of torn up sidewalk about 50 ft. long and decided to work every inch of it. I was pretty much skunked. I think my detector probably lacks the depth to "see" where the good stuff may be located? That is part of my decision to upgrade. So, my question to free is , how deep does one usually have to go under a sidewalk removal?

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
I find that the ski mountans are good but only if you like the long hike upwards like you say pepole are lazy and the edges of the hills near the tree line lots of silver . At the top theres not much trash (zippers >:( ) no pull tabs up here way up here

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Good Topic Free!!! I have been using old topo maps looking for homesteads no longer with us. Many cellar holes are sure to give up old stuff. Many I've searched lately have given up nothing but iron scrap. But I''ll continue to dig !!!! HH to all.
Greg :)

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Along sidewalks is a good place to find coins that fell out of pockets. Parking areas may have coins that fell to the ground when keys were pulled out of pockets.

Around pay phones and parking meters.

At the base of trees (coins falling out of pockets of those sitting in the shade).

Swimming holes.

Fairgrounds and circus sites.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
If you go out in the country, look for a row of cedar trees. They are usually used by farmers as wind breaks near a farmhouse. At times, even if farmhouse or outbuildings are gone the trees remain.
If you look at old county maps, look for a little oval drawn on it, usually just outside a city or town limits. Will generally indicate an old horse or dog race track, but can also indicate an old fairground.
Just food for thought.

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
In my area some forest service and BLM campgrounds have recently been shut down due to lack of funds. Picking out the older ones can be done by research or drive by's. If there are tables still there they are a dead giveaway to the age of the campground. The farther off the beaten path the better. These were the ones that got the least amount of upkeep. Some picnic tables I've seen have dates etched in them that go back quite a ways.
These campgrounds have usually been hit by other detectorists so take mike28's advice and be sure to hit the "tough" spots. If it's a pain in the butt to detect less people will have done so.
Will you find turn of the century coins? Probably not. But the older ones just might give up some silver. :)

M

MikeH

Don't forget bustops. Especially the older cement benches that are just sitting on the ground and not on a concrete platform.
MikeH

R

rvbvetter

? ? ?What stoney said about trees is good. ?Here in calif. old eucalyptus trees lined up. Are a sure indicator of past occupation. In older towns i keep an eye out for grass strips ( between sidewalk and curb ) that haven't been maintained. They've proved lucrative many times.

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
As interstates were built away from the old roads, many gas stations (and other buss.) were abandoned. Dozens were closed here in a year for leaking fuel tanks. Many have no visible structure to the casual passer by, but some of them are short some nice old silver coins now. :)

P

Pooley

Some of my best places ever to find silver coinage has been at old drive in movie theaters. We hunted one in Nashville back in the early 80s and pulled out over 80 silver dimes, mercs and roosies and at least 50 silver quarters plus tons of clad. We hunted a high school in Nashville that was built in the 20's and probably found over 100 wheaties, most of them being found underneath windows!!! Seems like the kids just threw money out of the windows. Some of our best finds came at private residences. I am just getting back into detecting after a 15 year layoff so I will start posting my finds soon

R

rvbvetter

groove?! Dang! I always thought it meant "get down" Guess i better leave my 60's tunes at home.

R

rvbvetter

Never seen it here, so i thought groove must be on signs back east for a purpose.
Interlibrary loan? How and where? HH

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
rvbvetter, go to your local library and see if they have book locally 1st, if not then ask librarian to place an interlibrary loan for the specific bookyou're looking for. They will look in their system and find it. When it comes in, they will send you a card that it's available, then you check it out like a regular library book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread