Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ Settings

Telewanger

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2007
I bought a Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ about 3 years ago. I am a plumber and I have been using it to locate cable TV lines, valves, septic tanks ( with the metal lids ), and copper water lines. It has paid for itself over and over. I have used it to install over 200 sewer and water systems on Holden Beach Island NC, and surrounding areas.

I have read the instructions several times, and have tried different settings. I want to do some beach prospecting.

Would some of you guys tell me the best setting for all knobs and ground selection switch for beach prospecting?

Is there a way to discriminate so I won't pick up so many aluminum can tabs, and still pick up coins, gold, and silver?

Do I really need headphones, or will the speaker work good enough?

Any advise will be great! ;)

Thanks!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Telewanger

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2007
I realize that I will be picking up a lot of can tops, but I was hoping that there was a setting that is better than another on the Lobo.

Since the beach here has a ton of salt in it, do I leave it on the alkali mode full time, or the normal mode?

What major difference will it make? ???

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I just like to dig everything when I go beach hunting - along with the sand scoop, its just so easy, and it helps "clean up" the old beach.

I turn discrimination knob off, the sensitivity all the way up, flip the disc switch down (with the black sand and alkaline switch in the center position), turn it on, flip off the discrimination switch (to the center), plug in the headphones - and go. (the book suggests that the discrimination switch (not the knob) should always be on (down) when you start her up).

Sometimes, depending on where I am, the closer to the water I get, I might switch to the alkaline setting, but bring it back to center as I move away from the water.

B

OP
OP
T

Telewanger

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2007
Hey guys, thanks for your help! ;)

Since I have been using the Supertraq for a few years down on the island, I wrap the brain box up with plastic Wal-Mart type bags. After that, I put tape on the bags. I also wrapped a pillow case around it. It works well to keep moisture, salt, and sand out of it. The salt air here will eat up copper piping in just a few years.

I have put a lot of miles on my detector, but not too much from treasure hunting, just plumbing work.

I bought it because I own some land in the NC Gold belt. I went to some of the old gold mines and tried to find nuggets, but most of the gold is fine gold and dust. I never found anything at the mines except iron and bullets.

It has been a life saver when it comes to locating plumbing lines and tanks. It has saved me a lot of back breaking digging work, and well worth the money. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread