Need help with "cold calls" Do you have a great spiel?

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Need help with "cold calls" Do you have a great spiel?

Hi,

Like anywhere else, Oregon has thousands of older private properties that have never been detected.
There are some I drive by every day and look upon with great interest.

However, I'm a person who HATES to be "cold called." I hate it when telemarketers call my phone number, or when salespeople or political activists come to my door. This has caused me to be very inhibited about ever doing that which I hate to another person, namely, "cold calling" them about detecting on their property.

But I'm getting desperate. Parks and schools are only so much fun for so long. Sooner or later, I'm going to have to walk up and ring a doorbell. Oh, I have done it a very few times before, with mixed results. Mostly, I try to know someone who knows the landowner involved, and work that angle.

So, I'm asking for help. Anyone out there have a great spiel that seems to work more often than not?

I can be friendly and personable. I'm happy to demonstrate how I dig, and to talk about what happens if I were ever to find something of value.

I'd just like to hear from those out there who have good track records making cold calls. What do you say that will get you onto the property, how do you approach the topics of valuable finds, and so on?

Thanks!

Mike

Upvote 0

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
Re: Need help with "cold calls" Do you have a great spiel?

Mike,
You are on the right track to getting into some good hunting sites. Old house sites can really produce some very interesting finds.
I used to have the same kind of reaction to knocking on doors that you are experiencing until I spent some time with a friend that had done this for years. He really did well and believe it or not he seldom got refused to hunt. When he did he would thank them for their time, walk away and head for another house. He was very to the point and I never thought he had a very good personality or temperament for this, but he did well at it, even as bold and to the point as he was. He got us into some great hunt sites.
The main thing is to look presentable. If you have a partner with you have him/her stay in the car. When you knock on the door back off a few paces as to not be threatening and have a nice smile. Say your hello and how are you, then explain that you have a hobby and like to hunt old house sites to look for coins. Never mention the word treasure. Just say you like to hunt for coins with your detector. Don't bring up about digging unless they ask. Most of the time they don't even bother to ask but if they do then you can explain that you are very neat and clean and don't leave a mess. If they press you on it then you can demonstrate your method. Always use a drop cloth in peoples yards to pile the dirt on and cut a three sided plug so the grass doesn't die out. Never cut a cone shaped plug, they just don't stay in the hole and the grass dries. I am sure you are good at this, but I had to mention it. Sometimes I ask if they have ever metal detected before and if anyone has ever hunted their yard. Just try to get into some easy conversation with them and be mellow.
When there is an objection to you being on their property it is usually the concern about liability. If you carry a release of liability form with you then you can usually overcome that factor. (if you want a copy of my release of liability form then PM me) However, some people don't want you there and just use that for an excuse, so when you pull out your waiver they will think of something else if they don't want to say yes. Don't get hung up with just one or two houses. If you get a no just go to the next, then the next and so on.
When you get permission you need to establish if any of their friends or family has lost anything in the yard so if you find it you can return it to them. This will keep them from claiming a good find later if they said no or described something different when you asked. Also establish how long it is OK to be there. This will help determine how you want to hunt the site. If it sounds like it's OK to be there all day then great, but if it might be a short hunt then you have to really do some cherry picking.
Also, you have to establish if you have to give up some of your finds to the owner, or maybe just show them what you have found when you are done, or maybe just say thank you and leave. It is a good idea to also carry an agreement with you so if they do want a split then you can fill in the form and both sign it. You can also tell them if you find anything pertinent to the history of the property you will give it to them to display or whatever they want to do with it, but a relic or artifact that has a history connection with the property should stay with the property. If the owner doesn't seem to care one way or the other then just keep it for yourself.
Once you start knocking on doors and get some ok's then it will get easy to do and you won't even give it a second thought when you pull up to an old house, park your car and knock on the door. The more you do it the easier it will get and you will look forward to each new site. It will open up a whole new avenue to you for finding great stuff... Good luck and happy hunting. Highwater

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't make "cold" calls, unless it is absolutely impossible to track down the property owner and speak with them in person. I do research on many different spots in the same general area--that way if I'm in that area already hunting, eyeballing spots, or tracking down other owners I can stop by and knock on the door of someone I'm trying to track down. My digging buddies can attest to the fact that I will knock on a door an hour's drive away from my home three separate times and get no answer--and still go back the fourth time and try to catch the owner at home. (Varying the times you knock on the door will give you a better shot at catching them.) Of course, I go to an area to detect as well as get permission--so Mr. John Doe that's never ever home isn't going to be the only thing on my agenda. I just think it's better to talk with someone in person--and folks are much more comfortable with strange folks like us if they get a chance to size us up before having to give or deny permission. Anything you can do to boost the likelihood of them saying yes is worth a shot. This includes everything from what you wear when you approach their door to making sure to talk with them in person rather than over the phone.

Here is a ton of information about getting permission. The links below are to my replies to similar threads.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,34422.msg375823.html#msg375823

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,57130.msg404977.html#msg404977

Regards,

Buckleboy

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

Howdy Mike,

A suggestion I have personally used- try talking with people in your neighborhood first, people you may have seen a few times, and they have seen you or know you're from the neighborhood. I think you have a better chance with these folks, as you're not exactly cold calling, even if you haven't officially met.

You'll generally get more yes's than no's, and its a good confidence builder.

I try and ask only those with less than perfectly manicured lawns.

I know you a little so I can say this with a little confidence- be yourself! You're a personable and likeable fella, I know I like your company.

You will get some no's, don't let it discourage you. Smile, thank them for their time, point out your house and offer your services if they ever lose anything valuable, and move on. Give 'em a nod and a wave when you see them driving down the street in the future. Don't need to be pushy, just show them you're friendly. Maybe they'll change their minds someday....

After you've alienated everyone on your block....... ;) :D- branch out to those places you've always wanted to ask but were too nervous to before.

Hey, I don't care for cold callers myself. And I've been told no a few times, too. But I've also gotten a few yes's! I bet my success rate is better than a telemarketer's! ;D

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500

What Jeffro said.

I've lived on a farm and ranch my while life . so when I go to ask in a rural area I notice whats planted in the fields next to them or what work has been going on around there home and start a conversation on that . but quickly get to detecting around there place.
It's easy er asking if you can hunt there old unlived in farm house then the yard where they live
Most owners don't bite. But if they have Rotts :oor Bulls :'( that's a dif. tell now.
Oh and watch for Bulls "the moo type" on property. You don't want them to think your up for a game of Bull slapping. :o
Have fun
Red

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.

Buckleboy you made a great post above and the advice you gave on the links you provided is outstanding.
Jeffro, Your advice is also good, if the houses in your area are old enough to justify detecting then that is a good place to start.
Red, good way to get something going when you can start a conversation and bring it around to detecting. That's smooth.
I have had home and land owners actually get excited enough about what I am doing that they start making phone calls to friends and relatives to try to get permission for me to hunt their land also. Word of mouth can do wonders. HH

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

Wow Mike!

A lot of HATE in that post. ;D

But you do say you CAN be persoanble...

OK, I'll go for it...

But look at YOUR avatar, then look at Jeffro's.
(and he says he knows, and likes you)

It's all about salesmanship.
First impression, if it doesn't make the sale, is hard to overcome.

And a sales pitch MUST BE tailormade for the person presenting it.
(Each of us look, and act different.)

I conduct my own business, and when typical advertising is not productive, I must resort to cold calling.

Once I was in sales, and every salesman has up and down swings.
Teamwork can assist in overcoming that obstacle.

For cold contacts, it is beneficial to quickly judge people's needs and make the initial presentation in a fashion that will get their curiosity aroused enough so you can continue to inform them what great value you are bringing them. Everyone likes a good deal. Even if they didn't know they were looking for one!

Of course there are people who wouldn't be "happy with a new rope."
Experienced salesmen take that as a personal challenge. ;D

Hope that helps you along the path.

R M P T R

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread