Seeking advice about pinpointers

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Hi,

I'm using a White's but they have had a lot of trouble with the switches on theirs. Fortunately I live near the factory and whenever mine goes bad (I've been through 4 of them so far!) they just switch it for a new one. Even so, despite their excellent customer service, I'm getting tired of making a trip to Sweet Home every few months for a switch-out on my pinpointer, and I'm always frustrated when I'm in the field and the darn thing decides to die, so I'm considering giving up on it and going to another maker.

A couple of my friends have Sun-Ray probes that seem to work well for them. However, I've also been told by one prospecting/metal detecting dealer that they're not really all that good. Instead, they recommended a Falcon Goldtracker (which will run around $200!) or something made by Treasuremate, which I haven't researched yet.

I'm interested in knowing what others are using and what they like/dislike about them.

So, opinions, everyone?

Thanks,

Mike

Upvote 0

Steve G.

Feb 4, 2007
Dallas Oregon
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3
Hi Mike,
I would do a bit of investigating on the Sun-Ray probe because I get the feeling it's effectiveness may vary from detector to detector. I had on on my DFX and it was erratic and quirky (how is that for scientific terms). Anyway, I traded it to a guy with a MXT and it worked great for him. Now I have one on my Explorer SE and I can't believe how great it works! So I would be curious to know what kind of luck the guys with XLTs are having with them. When they work, they are great!
Steve

999slvrfx

Nov 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/sunray probe,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two dfx's, both with the sunray DX-1 probes and they work great.
I wouldn't leave the house without them. They save a lot of digging and time.
More time left to spend detecting.

rocker

Jun 2, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, CIBOLA, LOBO SuperTraq, AT Pro, Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Treasure Mate is made by Tesoro for JOBE Wholesale. It operates at 16.5 khz and has a balance and tuning knob. The knobs are the same as whats on their detectors. The 16.5 khz works great for gold prospecting, but I feel that it would be easy to accidentally bump the knobs. I use a Vibra probe myself and it seems to work fine. What I like the best about it is it only pin points on the end of the shaft, where others may give you a reading along the entire length of the shaft. They have since came out with the new and improved Vibra probe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread