Cache Found ( Revisited )

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
In 1975 my family moved to an old homesite with much history. I was 5, lived there 27 years. It is an 1853 farm house, have done a ton of research. The family was very promient at the time had 600 acres of maple groves. One of the biggest maple syrup manufacturers. Had patents on the jarring and shipping crates. They grew apples, berries, peaches etc. I have visited there graves in a forgotten pioneer cemetery, and the church they used to belong to. I got my detector in 1997 and started practicing at home before I tore up anyone elses land. Well this site has been hunted regularly by me ever since then and I am still amazed at the finds.

Bullets, bttons, buckles, toys, knives, relics of all sorts, rings, ancient jewelry, farm equipment. Oneof every type of us coin (penny, nckle dime and quarter ) some halves.

Then one day after reading about detecting crawl spaces in lost treasure magazine, I decided to give it a try and found only one indian cent and nothing else. Before I left the cellar there was one corner where they used to store coal, that had not been covered with concrete so I thought what the heck its raining outside so better than nothing. It was a 7'x7' area and it took me several hours to dig all the coins out of the ground. I got a ton of signals in this area. Dug down about 6 inches and hit glass. It was a green mason jar and I could see Morgan silver dollars in the jar. I was shaking so hard trying to dig this jar out of the tough clay earth. That jar was so heavy. My friend and I sat there and stared at it for about ten minutes. Not wanting to take out any coins till later to carefully do it as to not damage any.
Then before filling the hole decided to check it again and got a strong signal, and then another, the coins just kept coming out by the handfuls, some as deep as nearly a foot in the clay.
In total I dug down about 2 feet and widened the hole about 2 feet across. I still get signals from the area but havent found anything else.

The ironic part is we use to come down here during tornados and stormsand sit on the large rock that covered the cache. That was the only time, cause it is dark damp and full of snakes. If I could have only known what ly just beneath us.

I got home and filled the sink with warm soap water and suberged the jar and coins. I pulled them out 1 by 1 looking at them documenting the date condition mint marks etc. 160 mrgan silver dollars, 34 barber silver halves, 43 barber silver quarters, an 6 seated liberty halves.

When I got to the jar I slowly started pulling the coins out and rinsing 1 by 1 in the center of the jar wrapped in newspaper were 3 $10 gold eagles and 7 $5 gold half eagles.

All the coins were xxf - Unc condition and alot of cc mint marks 1 of every date and nearly every mint morgan silver dollar. Put together almost a complete collection from them. The newest date on any coin was 1902 and the oldest was 1853 the same year the house was built.

Everyone tells me this is a once in a lifetime find which means I might as well stop hunting, no thanks I will find another.
After finding my cache, my girlfriend and I stopped at a homesite from the same time period less than a mile from my site. We talked to the woman of the house about detecting her property. she said she needed to speak with her husband and would call us. Said they never found anything except "big pennies in the garden" (large cents) oh is that all. It was about a month later I heard from the friend of a friend that the husband came home heard the story and obtained a metal detector and proceeded to find a couple dozen Gold coins. They were scattered in the yard apparantly had been buried in a jar and hit by a plow in the past. So close ugg.....

I am now going to address the many questions and comments.

The value is hard to state and I dont care to speculate. I have sold some , had some appraised and have an idea but it depends alot on current spot prices and collectors demand.

Have detecting and searched the area thoroughly but due the clay earth cant sift. Think most signals are from the large metal box that was buried near the jar holding the 'loose' coins. It had been completely rusted away.
Get very strong signals from under the concrete floor. Maybe someday Ill be able to smach it up and find those treasures.

I was unable to make out anything on the newspaper. It was a small piece torn from the paper of the time and wrapped around the 10 gold coins and hidden in the center of the jar of silver. When I placed the entire jar in the sink to rinse the coins. the water destroyed the paper.

I believe I know who buried the cache and the circumstances as to why it was left behind.

I was able to put together almost a complete album of Morgan Dollars, dates and mint marks.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 638
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 625
  • 829 Gold Coins.JPG
    829 Gold Coins.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 641
Upvote 0

tac512ltd

Aug 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark; Aquavision 2007
Wow !! That one will be hard to beat. Great Job.

OP
OP
nick1878

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
Thanks guys. Weather here in Indiana is very mild this time of year still hunting strong. Hopefully be able to pull some more treasure out of the earth soon!!

This site is still surprising me. I have hunted EXtensively inside and out. Still finding silver. got a couple mercs the other day. surprisingly tho Of the hundreds of silver coins here, not including the cache, 80% are 1900's area was settled around 1830 house build 1853 but very few seated liberty coins or same era. just have to dig deeper I guess.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's simply remarkable... more signals, huh? I wouldn't stop until I've dug every last one and my detector wouldn't beep anymore. That's just me though.

Bran <><

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lifetime of fun to me. What a dream come true story. Thanks for posting. HH
Burdie

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your luck has run out,one cache per person,don't bother looking anymore,theres nothing left.........oh yeah,whats your address?sweet finds,go get the rest

OP
OP
nick1878

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
Im fairly sure the signals I still get from the 7x7 area are mineralization or bits of the rusted 'treasure' box that held half the coins I found. There is a stoen fireplace right there too. We got signals in there but found the source. I have use 3 detectors, different coils including a PI machine and cant seem to find any targets when I dig.

The good news. I have free access anytime day or night!
Believe Me Im not one of those guys that says I got my fair share if any is left I leave it for the next guy. I dig and dig until its all gone, lol. sorry guys. haha

OP
OP
nick1878

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
More Pics

Attachments

• 824 Barber Quarter & Half.JPG
    824 Barber Quarter & Half.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 455
  • 822 Seated Liberty Half.JPG
    822 Seated Liberty Half.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 441
  • 821 Morgan Silver Dollar.JPG
    821 Morgan Silver Dollar.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 466
  • 813 Coin Cache.JPG
    813 Coin Cache.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 451

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those gold coin pic's are phenomenal!! I hope to find at least one gold coin one day... thanks for posting all your pic's! :)

Bran <><

OP
OP
nick1878

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
Well guys curiosity is getting the better of me so I will be heading back to this location very soon. I will get some pics of the room, surrounding area, cover stone etc. And see what else might be in there.

OP
OP
nick1878

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
Re: Cache Found ( Revisited ) New Pics

Tried re-sizeing some pics

Attachments

• 824.jpg
    824.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 399