Newbie with a few questions

TexasTal

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2008
NE Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS
Hello fellow Th'ers, Let me start by saying this is my first post even though I've been lurking in the forums for a couple of months. I bought a used Explore XS yesterday while out shopping for my wife a starter detector. She will get her Ace next payday...lol(she say explorer is too heavy).What i was wanting to ask some of you "pros" is:What do i look for in the explorer to ensure i didn't get a lemon( I have a 7 day money back guarantee). 2ND: I used it today for about 6 hours in my yard trying to get some insight into how it works(all the different tones can be confusing, but i can see how they will do my disc for me). I used the factory default settings and honestly I found a lot of pennies with it, mostly new ones though. But, as i read in a post from Badger, I didn't find any deeper than 3". I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for a newb. Especially on the depth issue. I'm kinda out of my league with the Explorer as the only other detector I had was 10 years ago from Radio Shack, so any advice is appreciated. And lastly let me say that I've read about 2 years of the post here, and there is a wealth of knowledge here, and I'm happy to be a part of Tnet now.Fair warning though you will probably get many more stupid questions from me...lol..HH Tal

Upvote 0

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the site. Remember that the dumbest question is an unasked one!

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Pennies at 3" is a start!

Dig yourself a bit of a test garden in your yard.

I like nickels... they are pretty close to rings on any detector.

about a foot apart, in a line, put em 4, 5, & 6 inches deep.

close up yer holes and start at shallow end and see what your metal detector will find.

If you can find nickels, you have a good shot at gold.

That should be good enough to get you started.

There's plenty about explorers on threads hereabouts....

OP
OP
TexasTal

TexasTal

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2008
NE Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS
Thanks guys. I have found a few articles on the explorer here and on the net. I think im gonna keep it, it seems to be working. One problem I noticed is that is is constantly nulling in my yard ( 100 years of nails and trash I believe). I did manage to find a 1937 William Purvis "secret operator" badge. After a bit of searching i found that it was from post cereal. And the cub scout neckerchief clasp i found was cool..So I'm beginning to have hope for it.Well work calls , cant wait for the weekend now..HH .. Tal

MR----B

Nov 28, 2007
Trego, Montana, all over nevada and Arizona
Detector(s) used
F-4, X-70, Delta 4000
The explorer has a long learning curve, it will take some time to figure out, but once you do, you will have a ball. It's a great detector. There is a book about learning the explorer. And you can also keep asking questionss to the great people on t-net. Awesome folks.

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I started, and still a bit, i got disappointed alittle when searching my yard. I even dug some holes, huge holes and not found anything after my detector stated something was there. A hand prob helped but, mostly listening to the folks here.
These are not my words but, words that echo through these pages. Take your time, learn your detector, and hold back the disappointment. Its tough in the beginning but, time helps. The finds will come, hopefully soon, but, I now have confidence in my detector, have learned how to hear the right sounds, the ones to pass and the ones to dig. Good luck. Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread