Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
This saying is way too old but it still communicates a message that I think pertains to our hobby today. That is, trying to get some action where none is to be had (or words to that affect).

Are you spending way too much time rehunting old worked-out sites when you really need to find new ones?

For me this going to be a major priority for this year. Even now I'm studying the lay of the land, so ta speak.

Any comments?

Badger

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree , I'm always Researching for new sites.

And especially with Gold where it is,
my minds working overtime on some good
Gold ring Sites.

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
Yup. I plan to visit my parents in rural Alabama a lot more this year. Detectorists are pretty rare in that area as far as I can tell. I've got permission to hunt a site that used to be a mineral springs resort with cabins and accomodations for 100 guests back in the 1840's. The owner is an elderly gentleman who inhereted it from his parents and he says that as far as he knows, nobody's ever taken a detector there. His nephews hunt deer there so I have to wait for deer season to end Jan 31st then I can go check it out. Just hope it's not too overgrown with briars and cane to swing a detector. (and hopefully others haven't sneaked in there and worked it over without permission)
Also a guy I went to college with is the mayor of my old hometown so I should be able to hunt the old schools and parks and city hall without too much trouble from the authorities. The current city hall was the town school grades 1-12 from the 1890's to the mid 1970's when the city population swelled to over 4000 and they had to expand. My dad graduated high school there in 1950.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
hsjrev said:
Yup. I plan to visit my parents in rural Alabama a lot more this year. Detectorists are pretty rare in that area as far as I can tell. I've got permission to hunt a site that used to be a mineral springs resort with cabins and accomodations for 100 guests back in the 1840's. The owner is an elderly gentleman who inhereted it from his parents and he says that as far as he knows, nobody's ever taken a detector there. His nephews hunt deer there so I have to wait for deer season to end Jan 31st then I can go check it out. Just hope it's not too overgrown with briars and cane to swing a detector. (and hopefully others haven't sneaked in there and worked it over without permission)
Also a guy I went to college with is the mayor of my old hometown so I should be able to hunt the old schools and parks and city hall without too much trouble from the authorities. The current city hall was the town school grades 1-12 from the 1890's to the mid 1970's when the city population swelled to over 4000 and they had to expand. My dad graduated high school there in 1950.

Yes, sounds like you and Jeff are on your ways to greatly improved finds.

We can sit around and yack about who has the deepest and best detector or we can go find the goodies.

There's still lots out there to be discovered but it seems to me too many want to keep working the same old sites.

Badger

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Good observation.

I would say, there is a probability the future will bring even more improvements in practical ground imaging radar that may be set up on a site to plot target locations in a vicinity cost effectively for small scale operators.

Until such time, sweep n beep with minute focus shall become less productive.
The simple fact is that in days gone by, folks had much less than we do, today.
And I would suspect they were much more cautious. (Coins holed for sewing into garments.)

Since there must be a finite amount of old/desirable targets in any location, virgin sites will be required for a modicum of success.
Key factors to new site access will be in research, and refinement of skills employed in seeking permission.

Surface mining the renewable resource of recent drops will most likely always be an option.
(Would it be possible the manufacturers have already noticed this?)

GREAT topic from the Aristotle of Michigan! ;D

R M P T R

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If all goes well this year........ :o ;D ;) That's all I can say about that. Yes, new sites when researched completely and thoroughly beforehand, are much better than the ones we have worked over and over and over.... :)

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
Michigan Badger said:
This saying is way too old but it still communicates a message that I think pertains to our hobby today. That is, trying to get some action where none is to be had (or words to that affect).

Are you spending way too much time rehunting old worked-out sites when you really need to find new ones?

For me this going to be a major priority for this year. Even now I'm studying the lay of the land, so ta speak.

Any comments?

Badger
Now that I have a GT Badger; My head is in overdrive......I have a few leads since I just got my friend interested in detecting. He has 5 places we can hit as soon as Spring starts....a turn of the century school (abandoned); a farmhouse behind his bro in laws farm(abandoned); tales of his grandfather burying money in the basement....a place which is now a cellar hole :); etc. and his parents live on a lake community for residents only; some water detecting in the works! WOW....am I glad I got him started!!! I am looking for a GREAT 2008

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
I have a couple of spots they are not quite yet hunted out, but I'm getting there. My prospects at them, so far, have been low. I am still hoping for that great find though that will make it all worthwhile.

There are a few sites around that I would love to detect. My problem is that I am a big chicken. I am too shy to ask. I need to get the gumption to do it.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"no place is EVER hunted out" ::) ;)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I see it is this: We can never have TOO many sites. Between every hunt I'm looking at old maps, newspaper articles, the Official Records of the Civil War... The sites that we do have will continue to deplete. If a detectorist doesn't always continue to learn and study, research and hit the books--he wakes up one day and realizes that he has NO sites on which to hunt without spending his whole hunt knocking on doors! Winter is usually my research time--of course, winter doesn't seem to have hit here just yet. ;D

Regards,

Buckleboy

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDDE said:
"no place is EVER hunted out" ::) ;)
This is true but a new sight might offer a whole different can of beans, so to speak and as BuckleBoy stated you can't have too many sights. ;)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
agreed just stirring the pot

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Good topic. I think I am the only one in South GA. that owns a MD. :-\ I have so many virgin sites I'll never be able to hunt them all.
And it is true you can "out work" old hunting sites. Take my hunting points for instance. I've been doing it for several years. Some of my sites that where rich with points no long yield. (or very rarely). Researching new sites pays off IMHO.

PimpLenin. stop being shy. :) The owners will say yes or no. Most people are really nice even if they do say no.

HH,
Pepper

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
Give Microsoft Live Search Maps a try. Zoom in. Click Hybrid, and Birds Eye for different views. Great detail, you can see the site before you hop in your car. Drag the mouse or click the arrows in the upper left corner to move about.

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
Ever try farm fields? I have made many great finds there. Still awaiting that 12 inch coil to arrive - to see if it will allow me to find some deeper stuff at some good old site that have "been hunted out".

Bavarian

One should attempt to gain access on private properties. This has always been very easy for me. I simply ask permission - and have never been turned down. I keep a list written down in a journal - otherwise I would forget about all of them.

jimmatt_43

Feb 2, 2007
Pepper is right,most people are nice even when they say no.I just wish the no's a good day and move on.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
bavarianminister said:
Ever try farm fields? I have made many great finds there. Still awaiting that 12 inch coil to arrive - to see if it will allow me to find some deeper stuff at some good old site that have "been hunted out".

Bavarian

One should attempt to gain access on private properties. This has always been very easy for me. I simply ask permission - and have never been turned down. I keep a list written down in a journal - otherwise I would forget about all of them.

What 12 inch coil for what machine?

Good post too!

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
Michigan Badger said:
bavarianminister said:

Bavarian

What 12 inch coil for what machine?

Good post too!

Badger - I found a cheap 12 inch Garrett coil for my 14 year old GTA1000. That old detector has found lots of bullets and mini balls. Hoping to find a new layer of them with this coil. Not much trash in that area that I have hunted over the years. Hoping to get a couple a more inches out of the old workhorse!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread