Large cents??

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
I have been treasure hunting over 10 years detecting just about every type of site you can think of. I have found some amazing things, valuable things, Almost 1 of every type of US coin except large cents. Was wandering what they read. I use whites XLT. I imagine due to there size they should stand out.

Appreciate any advice, Thanks

Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
nick1878 said:
I have been treasure hunting over 10 years detecting just about every type of site you can think of. I have found some amazing things, valuable things, Almost 1 of every type of US coin except large cents. Was wandering what they read. I use whites XLT. I imagine due to there size they should stand out.

Appreciate any advice, Thanks

Merf is your man. That guy finds more US large cents than anybody on here. He's modest and dosen't say much.

I've found a couple Canadian large cents but not one single US. Like you I've hunted sites all over this country. Dug very early tokens and all of it...not one single large.

Hope the secret comes out!

Badger

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use an MXT so I don't know how they read, but they really bang out there! There won't be any doubt when you hit one.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago when I lived in Charleston SC I dug 7-8 of them in the city parks and construction sites.
Using a Whites digital meter its most likely going to be somewhere between Dime and Quarter.
Good Solid target. Just not that many out there and you have to be on a site that dates at least to
1865 or there abouts, as they went out in 1857 with the advent of small cents...
But your right, I have dug a Bust 1/2 dime in a Churchyard and many seated liberty dimes dating
to the 1840's but never a large Cent in a Churchyard...
They are just scarce...
Good Luck...
;D

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
I dug one last year and its still my oldest and best find too date.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,94332.msg681306.html#msg681306
I remember it came up 83-84 on my XLT and was about 4 inches down.
It was in a church yard amongst coins and junk no older then the 1970s
It must have got pushed up into the newer sand fill layer by frost action.
I thought it was another buried aluminum can :D
Boy was I surprised
Here is it cleaned up in Best Finds http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,97489.0.html
I am sure if there is one there it will be hard to miss with the XLT.
Good luck
HH,
Donny

JT in Virginia

Aug 16, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Man, for some strange reason my WOT seems to be dialed in for large cents...I've found 3 so far this season. It's a huge piece of copper, so when you go over it, you'll know :)

Attachments

• Picture 004 (Small).jpg
    Picture 004 (Small).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 318
  • Picture 016 (Small).jpg
    Picture 016 (Small).jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 325

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
ive found with my old whites 6000 that they read like halfs. but not a sweet solid half hit, more of a grittier jumpy slightly less than half reading. you wont miss it if you swing over it. in my experiences theyre super rare.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
This is way off suject I know but I have something that may interest someone who bothers to read this entire thread.

Back in the 60's I bought the entire stock of "cull" large cents a major coin dealer had. The lot was about 300 coins that were holed, dug, or worse.

The dealer was absolutely thrilled to find someone to take them off his hands.

I paid exactly $1 each for these coins and found about 50 that had been dug. Many of these had no holes but were simply dug with impacted dirt so they're identity could not be known. I gave away lots of the holed coins as keychain gifts (people loved them).

I finally sold the rest on ebay a few years back for about $2 each. That ebay lot included those that needed cleaning. I sure wish now I had kept them and cleaned them myself.

The point: Even in the 50's and 60's THers were digging lots of large cents down south in the old areas. Even those early BFO detectors could easily detect them. One old timer claimed he dug large cents with the heel of his boot.

Maybe this is partly why they're rather difficult to find today?

Badger

OP
OP
nick1878

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
Thanks for all the insight guys. I figured they would jump out at ya, but wasnt sure if they were a solid target or jump around a bit. Cant wait to find my first.

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
yeah im sure over the last 40 years id say a lot of the old stuff has been found. but it seems like you cant ever find it all. im sure its a lot more challenging nowadays compared to the old days. in my opinion most of the "easy" stuff is gone. now you have to really work for it if its an obvious spot. but it seems like theres still enough finds to be made that it makes it worth the hunt. at least the fun of detecting isnt just in the actual coin finds themselves, its the entire hunt.

also i meant to add that ive only found about 4 large cents in all my days of detecting and i think they all came from the yards of old farmhouses.

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I found one a couple of weeks ago, pulled it out of the hole and asked myself "what the heck is this", got my partner pointdlr over and he told me it was a large cent, 1835 to be exact. had tiny hole drilled in it. I can tell you this, for what ever reason, it did not sound like an obvious coin signal as you would expect like a quarter would. I air tested it out of the ground and it breaks up a bit at 8-9 inches for some reason. It's real strong at a closer distance. The reason might be the hole drilled in it. I tried a Morgan Silver which is comparable in size and got over a foot? Go figure. I wondered to myself if it was made of solid copper or not. It had a pronounced strong signal from one direction both ways and then it would break up when I "X'd" the target. the only reason i dug the thing was because of that really strong signal from one direction. I can't tell you if it was sitting pretty on it's back or if it was on it's side unfortunately. It's my favorite find so far just because of how old it is. They say the hole's in those large cents are made to string coins together so they are easy to carry to market and such, who knows, I have heard 3 or 4 theories.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread