Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
1980's Wilson Neuman Metal Detectors

Where can I find photos online for the old Wilson machines made in the early 80's?

I once owned a 1982 Wilson Newman GBII (as I recall) and would like to find some info on it again.

I don't seem to be able to find it via google.

Thanks,

Badger

Upvote 0

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
Re: 1980's Wilson Newman Metal Detectors

You might try by re-searching using "Neuman". As I recall, that was the spelling. I had one of his detectors for about a month to write a review, but the mineralization in the area where we lived in GA was too bad to get anything but noise from it. I ultimately sent it back without getting any satisfactory results. Revolutionary design, with built in handle...natural aluminum in color if memory serves.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: 1980's Wilson Newman Metal Detectors

BARGuy said:
You might try by re-searching using "Neuman". As I recall, that was the spelling. I had one of his detectors for about a month to write a review, but the mineralization in the area where we lived in GA was too bad to get anything but noise from it. I ultimately sent it back without getting any satisfactory results. Revolutionary design, with built in handle...natural aluminum in color if memory serves.

Good Luck!

Yes, you are correct. It is Neuman.

Back in the 70's and early 80's their machines set on all-metal mode beat anything when used in sweet ground (low mineral). I have fond memories of my Daytona. But as I recall mine was actually a GBII or GBIII made ca. 1982. Not sure anymore, too many years and detectors since then.

Two times stand out in my memory. The time I was hunting a park I was told was hunted out and I dug a Rolex pocket watch and FOB at the base of a monument to WWI. It was easily 12 inches deep.

The other was when I searched the fill dirt around the park restrooms and was able to pull Indian cents from 9 inches deep using all-metal model. The others couldn't even get a beep. I dug 8 or 9 that day in an area no bigger than 4x4 feet. It had been the entrance to the park/carnival grounds in the old days.

The Daytona didn't have a very big coil. I think it was 7 1/2 inches in diameter.

If one could find one of these today in working condition it would probably still beat most VLF today in coin depth (all-metal mode).

But the Daytona had two very big shortcomings that distroyed its popularity. First it didn't hold up well at all. My model worked great for about 2 months and died. This same scenario was common with others who owned it. And the discrimination mode was awful (no depth).

Too bad old Neuman never really got the entire act together. Maybe he lacked the backing.

I wish I had an old one just to hang on the wall.

Badger

Attachments

• Daytona.jpg
    Daytona.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,387

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
Re: 1980's Wilson Neuman Metal Detectors

I don't recall which model I had, but we were introduced to the line at a large "staged" coinhunt in KY, Louisville I think. It was there that I was asked to evaluate the Daytona in the North Georgia area...real unpredictable ground.

Although we are from MI, we have been gone since 1958, & were living in Atlanta at the time.

Yes, they were a far departure...in appearance if nothing else...from the BH Red Barons & the various Garretts & Fishers. I believe that was about the time Tesoro was introduced too.

Cheers, DR

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Wilson Nueman Daytona didn't sell in any numbers in the U.K. I found it uncomfortable in use and poor performance in relation to its price. There was a test report in "Treasure Hunting" magazine at the time.

Wilson redeemed himself after the split of the company with the Wilson Coin and Relic which again had a slightly smaller than usually coil which was supposed to be his own version 'Hot Head' type.
This machine did work well with good depth and sensitivity and even performed well on the wet sand for a single frequency machine.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

U.K. Brian said:
The Wilson Nueman Daytona didn't sell in any numbers in the U.K. I found it uncomfortable in use and poor performance in relation to its price. There was a test report in "Treasure Hunting" magazine at the time.

Wilson redeemed himself after the split of the company with the Wilson Coin and Relic which again had a slightly smaller than usually coil which was supposed to be his own version 'Hot Head' type.
This machine did work well with good depth and sensitivity and even performed well on the wet sand for a single frequency machine.

Good post, thanks.

Recently a very nice member of TreasureNet mentioned to a dealer friend that I wanted an old Wilson detector. He happened to have a Daytona II so he mailed it to me.

There sure are some ultra nice people associated with this forum!

Of course I sent both a little token of my appreciation.

But as far as performance goes, you're correct Brian. I always thought it was so sad that Wilson has never really been able to get a serious business going. He sure had (has) the knowledge potential, that's for sure.

Badger

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL

Good deal Badger...If a picture is worth 1000 words, the real thing is worth ____ pics!

DR

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

BARGuy said:
Good deal Badger...If a picture is worth 1000 words, the real thing is worth ____ pics!

DR

It's really neat holding one of these again after so many years. These vintage machines do bring back memories.

Maybe some time I'll get this one repaired so I can hear that old Wilson sound again.

Badger

silysavg

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2011
Greensburg / Mt. Pleasant, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i, Garrett Masterhunter Ads III, AH Electronics Backpackers I & II for scouting purposes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread