Improvement in metal detectors?

Coin Shooter

Jan 12, 2008
Flowood Mississippi
Before 2001 I tried several cheep and a few used detectors that I could afford and traded up as I could. Finally in 2001 I was able to get a new Fisher CZ7a Pro. It has been a good detector for me, and still works.

I now seem to have the new toy bug, but don’t know in what ways the new top of the line detectors have improved in the last seven years. Money is not near as tight as it was back then and I would like to have the best but don’t want to spend the premium price for something that is no better than what I already have.

There seams to be an abundance of experience and information here, so could I please ask for your opinions. Should I get a newer detector?

Upvote 0

treasure-prospector

Jan 10, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab GP
In the Hobby, nonprofessional line below $1500 you're at a level any other detector won't give you any big advance in depths.....

If you still want some serious depths improvement and are willing to dug any target as there's no discrimination a used Minelab from the GP series( extreme, 3000,....) will work great!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Fisher CZ7a is still a great detector and since you know it so well I would stick with it. However, this is not what I do. I get the bug for a new toy and just buy it so I can learn something new.

Some of the top of the line just have more features that appeal to some. They could spend more time setting up programs, but if they don't put the coil over it, it won't beep.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman covered it well. I too am a brand jumper and tester.

The only machine I could think of that you'd probably find interesting and MAY help you find more would be the Minelab Sovereign GT. I say this because of it's seeming ability to ignore iron.

But again, depth wise not a lot has happened with VLF detectors since the 90's.

If you are the digging type and in good physical condition you could try the Garrett Infinium which is about twice as deep as most VLF detectors.

Badger

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Michigan Badger,

I think your going to slam the brakes on that urge to buy/try different detectors when you get that new Infi! That's my prediction. I also predict that you will find new and different ways to test it because you are in the frozen jaws of winter and are frothing at the mouth to do SOMETHING with a metal detector! We are all waiting with baited breath for you to get the Infi, I know you won't let us down. Joe

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Coin Shooter said:
What about improvements in discrimination?

I can't help but notice that jewelry trinkets and rings made of Au continue to be made that strongly resemble the detectable signature of various pulltabs, bits and pieces, and canslaw.

There oughta be a law! ;D

R M P T R

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread