Any good ideas for sealing my coil?

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
I hunt allot of beaches using my DFX with the standard coil and I can't help but notice that sand slowly begins to get logged between the coil and the plastic protector around it which can make it quite heavy and harder to swing . Anyone else have this problem?
I want to seal it completely so I don't get sand in my car, house, exct. I was thinking silicone but I don't know if it will react with my detector. Any help would be great and would save me allot of messes and some arm strength. Thanks

Pat Pall

Upvote 0

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Coat the bottom with lock Tite marine epoxy and all your problems will be solved I got mine at Home Depot

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend erikk's way. Don't know about the West coast or Great Lakes's sand, but the East coast sand is pretty fine, it will find a way to get in.

Silicone will not affect the detector, but you get a tiny gap in the silicone, sand will get in and you will have to remove all the silicone to get the sand out, with the Epoxy you just rinse and go.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
There is a product called "Flexable Seal".

It can be found in many lumber yards, some hardware stores, and ALL roofing supply outlets, especially those who sell metal roofing systems and related products.. It is the very finest of water sealers, and can even be applied in a pool of water to an object. It adheres to ALL surfaces. .

I have used it sealing at least 200 metal roofs and it will last 20 years on one without cracking or breaking the seal. It is quite flexable even after 12 years when I used it on an old truck windshield. It still still is waterroof and flexable, even after driving all those years on the freeway wiht it in all the bad weather, etc.

There is no better product on the market for sealing against water. Silicon or silicon II is really quite inferior to this product. FlexableSeal is available in several colors too. You can order it online. About $5 per tube.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to seal all my coils with silicone sealant but don't anymore because a little black sand got inside and it took me a while to find out what was wrong.

Silicone will not affect the detector, but you get a tiny gap in the silicone, sand will get in and you will have to remove all the silicone to get the sand out, with the Epoxy you just rinse and go.

Marine Loc tite is the way to go and not use the cover at all.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not used a coil cover in over 10 years. you don't need one, just cary a small brush to sweep the
sand off the coil when your done.
Those pictures of coils all eat up from use, I think they are just for advertisements.
Richard

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
I use my machine at least once a week. Usually get ~ two years on a coil cover. Have also cracked several along the edge bumping into exposed rocks or trees while relic hunting. Buying a $10 coil cover sure beats replacing a $150 coil.

I usually use silicone. It is flexable and will still peal off if you need to replace the cover.

Jeff

StogieJim

Feb 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Exp 2, Tejon, & Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That reminds me to check my coil. I've used duck tape on a small circular. Easier to remove than silicone.

Just my 2 (someday large) cents,

Jim

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Does anyone know how well the Marine Epoxy will hold up for dry land hunting?
I mostly coin hunt on old properties, and I REALLY scrub the ground sometimes.
I'm constantly removing, (and occasionally cracking) my coil covers when I take them off to remove dirt that gets in there.
Is it safe to use on a fisher spider coil?
Plus I'd really like to get that extra 1/16 of an inch depth out of it! ;D ;D ;D

r.r.warren

Greenie
Oct 19, 2007
orlando,fl
Detector(s) used
ace 250, legacy 3300,o'rion stage 2
i would never seal a coil cover to the coil. how about taking the cover off when u get done and cleaning it and reinstalling it? u know like cleaning your guns after u go shooting?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Somebody mentioned that spray-on bed liner stuff awhile back. I think it comes in a can for small jobs? Just spray it on and throw away the coil cover. It'll take awhile to wear through.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I use the epoxy in all my coils both land and sea . It holds up well in all environments and if you should ding it it is easy to do a touch up

Willy

I've seen beat-up coils.. but then again, I do a lot of prospecting and the ground is really uneven with lots of rocks. Trying to get those tiny nuggets means swinging as close to the ground as possible and getting the coil in between rocks and such.. hard on coils. ..Willy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread