Got myself a new trowel

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
And no, it's not a Lesch. I was at Home Depot looking for a particular tool that I had seen a friend use for metal detecting several years back and came across this interesting looking trowel for under $10. It appealed to me because of the "stirrup" like handle at the top, which should make it easier to push down into the ground. It has serrated edges for cutting small roots and a wide blade which should make it ideal for cutting plugs in the park grass. I have no clue how durable it will be, as it is made in China, but for ten bucks hey, it's worth a try. Besides, the rubber grip on my current trowel is pretty much useless and I need a quick replacement. In a few days I will let you all know whether it was a good investment or a waste of money. ;D

Ray

trowell.jpg

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As you say, for $10 worth a try.

I 'd be careful prying out plugs with a cast blade. Depends a lot on your soil.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I found a great finds bag at Lowes - a carpenter's belt pouch (& belt) I dyed green.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I truly hope it works for you. I spent well over 100.00 on different style diggers from Lowes and Home Depot before I bought my Lesche about 4 years ago and none of them held up. I wasn't easy on them though. Now I am still using the same Lesche, still prying up rocks and hunks of clay, cutting roots etc. I have leaned on it with both hands, never a waver. So, in all, I figure I spent around 150.00 - 200.00 or so including the Lesche trying to find a digger, on the other hand I probably saved about 500.00 since I have not had to replace the Lesche like all the others I bought.

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got one just like it and it works great, you can guide with one hand while applying pressure with the other. Hope you enjoy it as much as I.

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Okay folks, my preliminary report is that this tool works great for bare soil areas. Right now the dirt where I am detecting is compacted but very moist due to all the rain we got. For now I can basically push the trowel down into the ground with one hand and make a good sized hole about 4-5 inches deep while holding my detector with my other hand. I'll have to wait to see how it works when the ground is completely dry. As for my front lawn, which is a lot of crab grass, it doesn't work so well, probably because the blade is not sharp at all. I imagine it will fare better on wet park grass than my front lawn, but unless it gets sharpened I don't think it will work well for grass when it is dry.

I will eventually get a Lesch as my main digger, but for now during the wet season I think this one will work for me.

Ray

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Charlie P. (NY) said:

I found a great finds bag at Lowes - a carpenter's belt pouch (& belt) I dyed green.
I will have to go to Lowes and check that finds bag out................................................==Jim==

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the exact same trowel at Home Depot and snapped it the first time out when I put some weight on it. Don't think that knob on the end means you can lean into with both hands. I did and it snapped and took a nice chunk of skin off for my trouble, ouch!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
roachnjim said:
Charlie P. (NY) said:

I will have to go to Lowes and check that finds bag out................................................==Jim==

AWP brand. $9.99 and another $5.99 for the belt. I dyed the canvas green with RIT dye and added a buckle a friend sent me from Great Britian. The hammer loop I slip a rock hammer in when heading into the woods and wilds for fossils (and tree roots).

I keep a notepad in the upper pocket, a baggie in the next lower pocket for good finds, third is for "ordinary" treasures/keepers and the trash goes in the biggest/lowest pocket. My F-Point slips in one of the side loops (I had to add a hole for the probe tip.

Works great.

Attachments

• HPIM00484s.jpg
    HPIM00484s.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 254

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread