Getting Permission...Now or Later?

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Hey Everyone,
Luckily I can still hunt at the beach BUT my land sites are all frozen until spring.

I have been doing research on some sites I want to hunt come spring and was wondering if I should ask for permission now or wait until the thaw?

I am leaning towards waiting until I can actually hunt because I think if I ask now, they might mention it to other friends and family, maybe someone who had a bad experience. I think waiting just gives them more time to re-think their decision and might change a yes to a no.

What do you think?

Glenn

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I would ask now. If they say no ...you still have time to woo them. If you wait ,and they say no....then you have had all the time planning and researching for nothing and end up without a place to hunt.

Ask in person. Make sure you hand them a card with your name and number on it so that if they change their mind they can call you. Get them talking about any history they know of about the property. Talk to their neighbors.
Alot of times,I talk to the neighbors first.....I ask them about the history of the area....I dont want to hunt their property and dont even mention it unless they bring it up...then when I approach the property owner and can say "I was talking to so and so and he was telling me about army camps or settlers or whatever.

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
Glenn,
It is a good idea to start asking around now. Sometimes it takes a while to get permission and as posted above, if you ask now and they say no you still have a shot at 'working' on them. Never give up a good lead. I have been going through a realtor working on a site for well over a month and will wait it out.
It also helps if you can approach the owner in person and start a conversation based on something other than metal detecting then tell them how much you admire their property and maybe get them to talking about it. Give them a chance to get to know you, even if for just a few minutes so they can size you up a little, then lead the conversation around to searching their property. This is much better than just walking up and telling them you want to metal detect their property out of the blue, but knocking on doors and ringing bells to get permission on the spot does work more often than not.
In your winter research try to find as many potential hunting sites as you can and make a list of all of them. Take a day to drive around to all the sites and see if they are still open or have been paved over and built on. Out of a list of 20 you may only find 2 or 3 that are still open. Keep notes. Look for realtor signs or do your time in the county court house in search of owners if you need to.
Don't be too disappointed or feel rejected if you get no for an answer. Just have enough sites on your list so if some of them don't develop you can still score on some of the others.
The biggest objection you will run into is the liability factor. You can counter that by offering a liability waiver. If they still say no then that isn't the real reason. They just don't want to bother with it. Also, have an agreement form in case you have to negotiate a split of the finds. Of course you always want to start out without offering a waiver or an agreement form. Only bring it up if they do.
Always be sure you are dealing with the owner, not renters or relatives. If the owner says yes and it's very casual then go for it. If the owner even mentions a split then be sure to have a signed agreement with the terms laid out ahead of time and have two copies, one for him and one for yourself with both signatures. It would be a real shame to run across the mother load and not have an agreement in place.
Here is a link to a thread from the past that includes information about finding leads. It is a long read but there may be some ideas that will help with your winter research and finding sites to hunt:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,120170.msg882262.html#msg882262

I have a form I have used in the past that I can send you if you would like to use it or get some ideas from it. Just pm me. HH and good luck. Highwater

OP
OP
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Thanks for the great advice Highwater and Gypsy. I was leaning towards waiting but after reading your posts looks like some face to face with property owners is in my near future, Thanks!
Glenn

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea of a card. Nice work, Gypsy! Then just tell 'em to call if they change their minds. More than likely they won't call, and permission will be good. I wouldn't wait too long though. ;) Prolly best if they remember who you are when you set foot on their land.

-Buckleboy

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I just asked my dentist this morning if I could metal detect his office site, it had a hotel on the site from 1871 - 1960 when it was torn down, he said no problem.
when you ask for permission, ask them if there is limitations on when you can hunt and where, it saves confusion later.
but in m opinion, ask now, if they say no, it gives you more time to look elsewhere
good luck and HH

Sniffer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread