guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been working a soccer field by my house for couple days now . but frustrated when it comes to retrieving targets . When I start to dig and I finally get the target , I'm off by 2 inches or better creating a bigger hole . I'M trying to dig as clean as can . I would like to be more centered on the target , creates a smaller hole less mess.. please help,, I'm using a sovereign gt,,, guzz1

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you "X" ing the hit? With a DD coil you "paint" a field that is long and narrow down the center of the coil. Wobble (Sovereign & Musketeers can be wobbled, other units need a wider & faster sweep) the detector to align the target in one direction and then tip the detector 90º (shift your feet) and wobble perpendicular to the first sweeps. I focus my eyes on a ground feature (clover petal, grass blade, etc.) as the "beep" occurs and "X" until I have a point the is centered in both sweeps.

If you find you are always 2" off doing this mark a white dot on your coil 2" in the opposite direction from center and use that to align over the "beep". Your eye will "remember" the dot as it sweeps over the spot.

Another DD trick is to back the coil up slowly until the hit stops. At that point it is right off the forward tip of the coil.

Add a Sun Ray probe is all else fails.

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
:)hey Charlie Thanks for the tips I'll give it shot... Guzz1

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Sometimes if a coin is in the ground at an angle, it will throw you off quite a bit. I had lots of those in Michigan. A pinpointer will help. Let me know if you would like to have one. You can have the one that came with my Exacal2.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
watch where your x is versus the pinpoint spot and make a consession. not all detectors are dead on. just get used to reading your machine and what it's telling you

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I answered this question for you but I don't see the post. Maybe I PM'ed you.

Anyway with the DD coil the Sov has, you will find it easier to pinpoint off the Tip or Heel of the coil. You may not even have to bother switching to Pinpoint, I don't.

When you get a target, slowly wiggle the coil back and forth as you pull the coil toward you. Stop when the target stops responding and then slowly slide the DD coil forward till you hear the sound. The coin or target will be just off the tip. Try it on some clean ground for practice with a coin on top so you can see it while you wiggle. Ya wiggle just the coil now..... ;D

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Hey Sandman , I'm headed to the soccer field today I'll try your technique.... I'll post finds if I get any. ...

Guzz Gary

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Hey Guzz,
Try practicing with some coins just laying on the ground in plain site. Make sure you are on target/ junk free ground. lay down some coins and rings etc. try pinpointing over each and see where they are hitting the best in regards to the coil. Good Luck!

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Yea I'll try that ,,, I'm heading over to the soccer field today ,,the beach has picked over big time it just waste of time and gas , I know that soccer field has never been hunted . I can see the field my house .. I watch it all the time never have seen Md ers there ever ,,, take care Glenn.. GUZZ1

T

TreasurdiggrNY

guzz1 said:
Yea I'll try that ,,, I'm heading over to the soccer field today ,,the beach has picked over big time it just waste of time and gas , I know that soccer field has never been hunted . I can see the field my house .. I watch it all the time never have seen Md ers there ever ,,, take care Glenn.. GUZZ1

Hope it works for you GUZZ1, Good Luck over there.
Glenn

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I see everybody answered your question already.

The GT takes a little practice but it's very precise once learned.

But it won't pinpoint trash well at all. If you see the target move as you swing from another direction you can bet it's trash.

Coins and rings are dead on when you follow Sandman's (and the others) method of pinpointing.

This same thing holds for all Minelab machines.

Badge

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Charlie P. (NY) said:
(snip, snip...)

Another DD trick is to back the coil up slowly until the hit stops. At that point it is right off the forward tip of the coil.

Add a Sun Ray probe is all else fails.
This is the technique that I use, too. Once you get the hang of it, you'll find that it's very accurate. Of course, like the man said ... This only works with a DD coil.

Bob

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Thanks guys ,, all the tips worked ...Sandman I did get your PM ,,Thanks , I went to the soccer field and I wasn't there five minutes I got kick off the soccer field by some old dude that doesn't speak the English language That well ,nor understand our city ordinances on public property, To avoid confrontation with the idiot I just left , So I'll be back at the beaches tomorrow. I'll avoid parks as well .I never have a problem at the beaches,, Thanks again for all your help,,,,, Guzz1

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Targets on edge will fake you out that way.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
guzz1 said:
Thanks guys ,, all the tips worked ...Sandman I did get your PM ,,Thanks , I went to the soccer field and I wasn't there five minutes I got kick off the soccer field by some old dude that doesn't speak the English language That well ,nor understand our city ordinances on public property, To avoid confrontation with the idiot I just left , So I'll be back at the beaches tomorrow. I'll avoid parks as well .I never have a problem at the beaches,, Thanks again for all your help,,,,, Guzz1

That's not uncommon. I have permission to hunt a couple sports fields but anything within the painted grids is verbotten. Somebody's livelyhood is keeping it looking nice and lots of kids ankles depend on there not being holes or loose sod where they are running. Don't forget, there could have been a slob hunter there years back who left a mess and now we all suffer for it.

Besides, soccer shorts and football pants don't have pockets. The loot is on the sidelines! (though I have found some nice rings on the surface of the fields (I sweep fast while walking across to the car) ;)

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
I was on edge were all all people watch .. The guy was about 80 years old and po'ed at the world.. I always cover my target holes ,,, When I leave an area you wouldn't have Known was there , I 'll stick to the 20 beaches have here choose from..... Guzz1

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
if you are just clad hunting, you may want to try a probe. After you pinpoint with your machine, probe till you hit solid. I do this and makes life much easier. Thanks Gayle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread