The Adventure Begins!

jt70

Apr 27, 2005
My Own World
Detector(s) used
DFX
The Adventure Begins

When my wife Sarah and I purchased our Home in late summer of 2003, I noticed on the deed that the home was originally built in 1758.? I also noticed that the deed made mention of a "school house" on one of the borders of our newly acquired piece of property.? Ever since then, I have been intrigued about the location of the structure.? Well, last night (05-May-05) an old friend of mine from high school that I have recently become re- acquainted with after 17 years or so stopped by.? We were talking about metal detecting and he said to me ?You know, there was a very old church right over there by those trees until about 20 years ago when it was torn down.?? Needless to say this got my attention.? He assumes it was a church because it had a steeple.? But I have seen school houses with small steeples in the past.? It could also be possible that the structure pulled ?double duty?.? I can see the site from our side porch.? The property is now owned by Mrs. Jones next door and the ground is notably flat and level where the building once stood.? I plan to do some research on the sight and ask Mrs. Jones for permission to detect the sight soon.? The possibilities of what could be in the soil of such a long forgotten location are seemingly endless to me.? I am also very intrigued by the historic significance of the site.

I will keep you posted.

JT

Upvote 0
J

Joe (Memphis)

I noticed on the deed that the home was originally built in 1758.... Or on YOUR property!! Keep us posted!

OP
OP
jt70

jt70

Apr 27, 2005
My Own World
Detector(s) used
DFX
You see,

when it comes to and old structure or location such as this, I am they type of person who likes to learn all i can about the place.
i will talk to people nearby and see what they know. i will go to the state archives and try to find more info there. i enjoy the the historic part of treasure hunting as much as the digging itself. i constantly wonder things about the items i dig. like who was the last person to touch this item? why is it here? was it lost or thrown away or intentionally place in its location? i dunno i guess it just keeps the blood circulating upstairs you know what i mean?

OP
OP
jt70

jt70

Apr 27, 2005
My Own World
Detector(s) used
DFX
also, i believe that you can get so much more out of this hobby besides the items we dig. besides this particular site has a little more romance for me than usual because it is right here where i live. i can literally see the sight now through my livingroom window as i type this message. i have always lived in this area minus a 4 year stint in the army. my ancestors are documented as being some of the first people to settle in this area.

i almost forgot

I just think its cool! (my wife thinks i am a geek)

JT

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
I would really love to see a picture of your house! Any house that has withstood that many years has got to be really cool! I hope you get the permission to hunt on the school site, and your own property should give up some really neat stuff. Please keep us informed on what you find, and post those pics!!! Welcome to the forum. I'm looking forward to seeing many more posts!

vicki

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
I agree with you JT,sounds like you have one nice ADEVENTURE in your own yard.The great part of finding out the history of this site is that you and your family have now become part of it.It also seems it flows far over your property lines with all the long gone structures.Best of luck on your search and digs,look forward to your post on the history and any finds.HH

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
jt70 said:
...i believe that you can get so much more out of this hobby besides the items we dig...? JT

You're so right! One of the things I'm most looking forward to with my MD is going out and finding some historical sites. Specifically some sites that others may care little for. As a young boy I was told of the general area where my Great Great Great Grandfather's home place was located. I looked all around those woods back when they told me, but couldn't find anything. It would be so cool to be able to say, "It stood right here!"

OP
OP
jt70

jt70

Apr 27, 2005
My Own World
Detector(s) used
DFX
Thank you all for the encouragement.

today i discovered that the church in my first post was indeed not the school mentioned in my deed.
the school was on the lot on the other side of my property. good Lord i am surrounded! i am just thrilled about this info and am making my plans to start detecting one of the sites this weekend. i found an old map of my area on line from the 1890S and it clearly showed 3 structures here the school to the north with a little flag on it my house in the middle just a box and the church to the south with a cross on it. all within about a 3 acre stretch.

F

Floater

You go JT. You have my attention. what state are you in . How much land are we talking about I want to know it all. (Just not the address please.) LOL Great Story keep us posted. HH

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Your wife won't think you are a geek once you show her some bada$$ 200 year old coins!

OP
OP
jt70

jt70

Apr 27, 2005
My Own World
Detector(s) used
DFX
I am In Maine My property is 2 acres and the old church and school sites are just across my property line on either side so i guess I am looking at no more that 4 acres at this point. But, who knows I just might get some more leads as I research this area some more.

Man I am having a blast and I can't believe I did'nt take the plunge and get into this sooner. It really is a rush when you dig something up and wonder who touched it last and if it would have been lost forever if you had'nt been there at that time. too cool. I dont think coins , no matter how old, would stop my wife from thinking I am a geek but I can't wait to see her reaction when I put that first gold ring i find on her finger.

Regards

JT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread