How to take your MD on a plane?

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody. I am planning to travel and want to take my metal detector with me. When I travel overseas or within the USA, I rarely check baggage for convenience sake. Would it be necessary to check a metal detector into baggage or would carrying it on be acceptable? Does anybody know? I would relish advice/experience on the best way to travel with your md in a safe, hassle free way. Thanks in advance,

matt

Upvote 0

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I often travel with mine. I take it apart and put the shaft in my checked luggage. I'm not sure you could get that through in carry on. I carry on the box and coil as I do not want to risk having them stolen. I also check my beach scoop.

OP
OP
dbsmokey

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cntrydncr1 said:
I often travel with mine. I take it apart and put the shaft in my checked luggage. I'm not sure you could get that through in carry on. I carry on the box and coil as I do not want to risk having them stolen. I also check my beach scoop.

THANKS! I hope you have been to fun places. I plan to go to San Diego in March and hit the beaches...

dmc161

Dec 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT
We did the same, took it apart, packed the shaft and box in one suitcase with clothes to cushion it, and then packed the coils, etc. in a smaller bag and put it in a separate suitcase with the scoop, checking both bags. We were flying from Calif to Virginia for 2 weeks during Christmas and between the 4 bags we checked and all the carryon items we couldn't check (laptop, cameras, etc.) there was no way we wanted to deal with security and trying to explain the metal detecting items. We didn't both taking the carrying case, just left it in the truck of the rental car unassembled when we weren't using it.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I broke mine down and packed it in my carry-on when I went to Pittsburgh last June. I had no problem whatsoever.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have traveled with mine but I have also sent mine in the mail before traveling and just used my back up machine. It works out good because you can send it out far enough in advance ( if you are staying with someone) and they can tell you when it gets there then you just send it back to yourself before you get on the plane.When I flew with mine I sent it with my checked baggage and had no problems. Good luck.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I take mine to Florida to hit the beaches. Havent found anything great there but I have alot of enjoyment searching! HH

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Break it down, hard case and carry on. You can always buy jeans and a t-shirt but you arriving and not your tector would be very bad!

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I break mine down and pack it in the hard case and carry it on. I put the digger/knife in the checked suitcase. No problems yet (5 trips)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread